The Head of Finance leads the day to day planning, implementing, managing and controlling of all finance related activities at Village Underground and EartH (a group of 6 companies with a combined turnover of £5M).
You will provide accurate and timely financial analysis and insight into the operational activities of the business to influence and contribute to decision making and business planning throughout the organisation whilst ensuring a robust control environment and balance sheet integrity.
You will be a fully qualified accountant and have an excellent understanding of financial management and accounting and a commitment to continuous improvement. You will have experience of successful delivery by leading and developing a Finance team. You will ideally have experience within the arts and/or music sector, and working in organisations in time of change.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to the development of organisational strategic business plans and future delivery models.
- Lead on the preparation of annual budgets and forecasting.
- Responsible for maintaining the highest standards of financial integrity.
- Manage all aspects of financial management and ensure financial procedures, policies and systems are up to date and fit-for-purpose.
- Produce efficient and timely management accounts, reports and management analysis of all financial aspects of the organisation and its trading subsidiary.
- Produce the statutory accounts for one of the group’s companies.
- Manage risk, governance and regulatory matters including reporting to Companies House and other external bodies.
- Ensure that the organisation complies with all relevant legislation.
- Lead on business process improvement projects to simplify and enhance the quality of service and develop strategic solutions to address customer/market needs.
- Work in partnership with all teams to empower and enable them to be financially literate, thus effective and efficient.
- Oversee the management of the day to day financial operations for the organisation.
- Lead on monthly month end closure processes, balance sheet accounting and general ledger management.
- Develop annual company budget, including budgets for each team.
- Prepare longer term financial forecasts.
- Prepare budgets and financial reports for one off projects.
- Monitor annual expenditure and cash flow.
- Work closely with all budget holders to monitor income generation targets.
- Meet regularly with teams to review budgets.
- Responsible for short term financial planning.
- Identify cost savings and new income generating opportunities.
- Ensure effective management of organisational cash.
- Prepare cash flow updates for teams and EartH board members.
- Produce quality, relevant and timely management accounts and financial reports for senior management and the EartH board.
- Ensure the team is kept informed on the financial position and communicate/advice on the financial implications of future projects.
- Provide support as required to strengthen the business cases of funding bids.
- Review all systems and implement new processes to ensure optimal efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure operation of appropriate financial controls, including revenue control, credit and cost controls
- Prepare annual accounts and all relevant documentation for external accountants.
- Be responsible for implementation of changes in financial reporting requirements.
Tax, VAT and HMRC
- Ensure management and processing of all the organisation’s tax requirements, particularly in relation to VAT, PAYE and Corporation Tax.
- Lead, manage and develop the Finance team to ensure that a comprehensive financial support service is maintained.
- Ensure the professional development of the Finance team.
- Manage relations with external stakeholders such as banks, insurers, auditors and HMRC.
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with external developments in the Finance sector, advising on any changes as necessary.
- Actively be involved in the financial aspects of key projects undertaken by the organisation.
- Be an active member of the management team and contribute to meetings and organisational priorities.
PERSON SPECIFICATIONS Qualifications
- ACCA/CIMA qualified
Skills & Experience
- Advanced IT skills – excellent user of MS Office and Google Apps.
- Experience of using Xero accounting software for both accounting and payroll
- In-depth experience of financial modelling
- Proven experience in financial processing and systems, design and implementation in previous roles.
- Highly numerate with experience of managing budgets and interpreting financial information.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to convert data into analysis/information which enable users to understand business performance and make informed decisions.
- Previous experience within the arts and/or music sector is desirable.
- Demonstrable significant experience of working at senior level contributing and leading on an organisation’s strategic plans.
- Excellent written skills, administrative, organisational and project management skills – an ability to effectively self-manage workload and meet set deadlines.
Leadership & behaviours
- Understanding of the demands and challenges faced during organisational change.
- Experience of leading and managing a team of finance professionals with the ability to lead, motivate and inspire others.
- Self-motivated and results orientated.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills at all levels, adaptable to a range of audiences and situations.
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- Highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
- A commitment to championing diversity and representation, with a knowledge of a diverse range of genres and cultures and a shown ability to work with people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Village Underground is a multidisciplinary venue presenting live concerts and electronic music events alongside theatre, performing arts and visual arts. Each year, VU has an attendance of over 150,000 people, stages more than 500 performances and works with more than 1500 artists.
EartH (Evolutionary Arts Hackney) is a multi–arts space for the 21st Century. Programming is broad, global, open and rooted in the highest quality artistic pursuit. We seek to bring together both the leading, rising and other important talents of varied artistic fields under one roof to provide a vital new home for the arts in London.EartH looks to become a leading light in the city for audiences of all ages and walks of life to meet, listen, watch, dance and enjoy all that artistic endeavour and creativity has to offer.
Both venues play host to commercial events, the revenue of which is put back into the artistic and education programmes.
Our office is located above Village Underground and, due to the nature of the building, is only accessible by a staircase and does not have a lift.
Please send your CV, a short cover letter and your salary expectation to Amelie Snyers ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) . Subject line: Head of Finance
5PM on Friday 31 January