Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world’s leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Paris, and Sydney.
The company’s catalog spans over a hundred years of popular music, encompassing some of the world’s most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Hans Zimmer, The Kinks, One Direction, Mötley Crüe, Robin Thicke, Naughty Boy, Phish, Hardwell, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson and Santigold..
Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown is looking to hire a Head of Analytics, to join our New York office. This position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for devising and implementing a global analytics strategy.
This includes the development of a comprehensive income tracking, royalty verification and forecasting process for both the company’s owned and managed copyrights and its pipeline of royalty driven M&A opportunities. The right candidate will be the primary point of contact for senior management in these areas, providing data-driven insights needed to make smart and profitable decisions. This role is especially suited to those who thrive in a fast-paced and agile environment, have experience working with cross-functional teams and have a strong interest in the music industry.
What will you do?
- Lead all financial aspects of Downtown’s strategic and music catalog acquisitions, investments and joint ventures, including forecasting, valuation analyses and diligence investigations
- Develop tools and methodologies for forecasting future royalty flows for a diverse set of music copyrights including contemporary songs, classic catalog and audio visual music
- Work closely with outside accountants and financial advisors to confirm the veracity of target catalogs’ reported historical earnings and go-forward projections
- Own the analysis and reporting for Songtrust and Downtown’s global music catalog performance, including: forecasting and budget-to-actual tracking for existing catalog and accounts, institutionalizing forecasting best practices for all new catalogs, whether it be through acquisition or new signings, and development of expedient internal reporting on catalog performance
- Work with team leads and senior management to identify, communicate, and propose solutions for income collection issues with the goal of maximizing global collections
- Serve as the primary business stakeholder in the company’s efforts to build a next generation business intelligence and data infrastructure
- Present analyses and conclusions to senior management
- 7+ years of music industry experience, including experience in analyzing music publishing transactions (acquisitions, co-publishing and administrative in nature), hands-on knowledge of how music royalties are collected and distributed globally
- Experience leading music and royalty-related due diligence investigations and analyses
- Strong finance and accounting knowledge
- Strong project management skills, ability to manage multiple projects, and experience in leading deal teams
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Ability to process and distill large amounts of data into useful analyses
- Exceptional references
Why you want to work here:
- The chance to work in our amazing loft office in SoHo, NYC
- Ample opportunities to work collaboratively with a fantastic team
- Rich benefit program, Life Insurance, 401k
- Career growth opportunities
- Free CitiBike Membership
- Volunteer Hours
- Invitations from partners and clients to attend shows / events
- Regular happy hours, speaker series in our conference space
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Downtown’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and encourage all to apply.