Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world’s leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Paris, and Sydney.
The company’s catalog spans over a hundred years of popular music, encompassing some of the world’s most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Hans Zimmer, The Kinks, One Direction, Mötley Crüe, Robin Thicke, Naughty Boy, Phish, Hardwell, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson and Santigold.
Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and SongtrustⓇ, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown is seeking a Finance Manager to join our team in the London office. Our ideal candidate possesses a degree in accountancy or a related major, an accountancy qualification, thrives in a fast-paced and agile organization, and has a strong interest in the music industry.
What will you do:
- Perform all aspects of cash receipt and cash disbursement accounts operations, including daily reconciliation of cash balances and ensuring our vendors are paid on a timely basis.
- Work with our NY-based Finance team to develop and follow processes for monthly and quarterly closing of the ledger. Specifically, you will:
- Reconciling balance sheet accounts each month
- Post inter-company journals
- Analyze and provide commentary on fluctuations/variances in our key accounts each month
- Consolidate our non-US entities into a financial reporting package (balance sheet, profit and loss, cash flows)
- Prepare VAT filings and returns for our UK and IOM-based entities on a quarterly basis.
- Secure requisite tax withholding firms (e.g. CORs) on an annual basis.
- Manage the treasury function for our UK and International bank accounts, including analyses of multiple currencies to mitigate foreign exchange risk.
- Prepare annual statutory reports for Companies House and work with international accountancy firms to assist in preparation for non-UK statutory reporting.
- Work with our NY-based royalties team to assist in processing and accounting of royalties owed to clients.
What skills do you have:
- A degree in Accountancy or related area of study.
- UK accountancy qualification (i.e. ACA, ACCA, or CIMA).
- 3+ years accounting experience, including: working in accounts payable/trade creditors function, managing a treasury/banking function with multiple currencies, and accounting for VAT.
- 1+ years managing an accounts function, including: execution of monthly or quarterly processes to close the ledger, reconciliation of accounts, posting inter-company journals, consolidation of multiple entities, and analyses of financial statements.
- Experience with preparing and submitting VAT returns and familiarity with standard tax withholding forms (e.g. CORs).
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, and a big plus if you have skills with Excel macros, Power Query, Power Pivot, and/or Power BI.
- Numerically obsessed, highly meticulous, and organized.
- Accountable and take ownership of projects you undertake.
- Analytical and curious – you ask a lot of questions.
- Ability to communicate financial information in a clear, professional manner.
Why you want to work here:
- The chance to work in our amazing office in Covent Gardens
- Ample opportunities to work collaboratively with a fantastic team
- Rich benefit program
- Career growth opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme and Season Ticket Loans
- Invitations from partners and clients to attend shows / events
- Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Downtown’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and encourage all to apply.