Downtown Music Holdings (Downtown℠) is the leading global music services company. We help millions of creators, rights holders and their partners to manage their music as a business and get paid fairly for their work. We service more than 23 million music assets from more than 145 countries across six continents, including some of the world’s most well-known songs, from a catalog that spans 100 years of popular music, including music for film and television, and the single largest independent sound recording catalog in the industry. Our integrated platforms help democratize global music rights management and simplify the distribution, monetization, and promotion of creative works. Working with creators at every stage of their career, from emerging songwriters to iconic performers, our business model drives equity across the entire global music industry supply chain.
Downtown Music Holdings is looking for a Manager of Compliance based in the UK/Europe to support the development of our rapidly growing business. This is a hybrid financial accounting and tax compliance role, with potential for work on group tax strategy and transfer pricing arrangements. This role will initially focus on statutory local compliance for the ex-US Downtown Music Publishing businesses, but there is potential it could extend to other businesses in the group (e.g. Songtrust, CD Baby, FUGA), as well as more strategic areas of tax (e.g. group transfer pricing arrangements).
We are looking for someone who is eager, inquisitive, and willing to learn about Finance and tax in Downtown in a unique and exciting industry. You should be interested in our industry and have a desire to learn about accounting and tax matters for music publishing and distribution.
What you’ll do:
- Full ownership of all statutory reporting obligations for all operating entities in UK, Netherlands, France, Australia, and Japan (plus new added territories), including statutory financial statements and disclosures, corporation income tax returns, statutory audits when required, and miscellaneous statutory obligations.
- Maintain documentation for any difference between internal management accounts and statutory accounts.
- Maintain the good standing status of all companies in each respective jurisdiction, and liaise with regulatory agencies in each market as matters arise.
- Manage relationships with external firm(s) and support these in the preparation of statutory accounts.
- Manage filing of all VAT / GST / WHT returns.
- Research and report on areas of potential tax concern (cross-jurisdictional tax withholding, impact of legal or regulatory changes (e.g. Brexit).
- Advise business development teams and client service teams on potential withholding tax impacts for clients.
- Work with DMH Finance and legal teams, DMH shareholder advisors, and external tax advisors on planning and implementation of group-wide tax initiatives and special projects (e.g. transfer pricing).
- Possess a degree in Accounting, Tax or related area of study.
- Possess ACA / ACCA and CTA or equivalent accreditation.
- 5+ years public + private accounting and tax compliance experience.
- Experience in the music industry or other royalties-based clients is a plus.
- Working knowledge of US GAAP, UK GAAP, and IFRS and common book-to-tax differences.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel.
- Numerically obsessed, highly meticulous, and organized.
- Accountable and ownership over projects.
- Analytical and curious.
- Able to communicate technical information in a clear, professional manner.
Why you want to work here:
- Ample opportunities to work collaboratively across our various brands and subsidiaries
- Work in a collaborative environment full of mission driven, innovative, and passionate people
- Be part of an open, welcoming, and inclusive culture
- Rich benefit program (Private Sickness & Health Insurance, Cycle to Work Scheme, Pension)
- Paid Volunteer Hours
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Downtown’s values. We welcome and encourage all applicants of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.