Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world’s leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Paris, and Sydney.
The company’s catalog spans over a hundred years of popular music, encompassing some of the world’s most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Hans Zimmer, The Kinks, One Direction, Mötley Crüe, Robin Thicke, Naughty Boy, Phish, Hardwell, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Santigold, Carla Bruni, and Social Distortion.
Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown is looking for a General Manager, for its UK office. In addition to their primary responsibilities for the office, the GM will have a role in helping to coordinate the workflow between the Companies offices around the world in support of all Downtown business units. This role will report directly to the Chief Operations Officer based in New York.
What does the General Manager do:
- Work with COO and other senior executives to establish formal workflow between the NYC, London and other European offices to achieve the goals of Downtown and its two primary business units, Downtown Music Publishing and Songtrust;
- All UK based employees (other than MD) would have dotted line reporting to GM, with GM assuming full leadership of the UK staff with regards to day to day issues. The GM would also work in tandem with solid line hiring managers and Head of People for CORE sessions (i.e., performance reviews) for all UK employees (other than MD);
- Lead office related responsibilities with support of administrative staff and local office manager (i.e., office space issues, insurance contracts, miscellaneous vendors, back-office administrative support in foreign markets, etc.);
- Work as logistics lead in establishing new foreign offices in the territory (i.e. set up legal entity, office space, banking). May be called upon to do same for a small number of offices outside of the territory;
- Establish best practices in London office w/r/t to key business processes;
- Responsible for administration of office budgets (e.g. T&E oversight, capital expenditures, functions and events outside of the creative/marketing budget);
- Liaise with General Counsel and outside legal and tax advisors regarding maintaining corporate good standing and tax compliance
What skills do you have:
- 10+ years of working at a publisher or CMO, or other relevant experience.
- Hands on knowledge of how music royalties are collected and distributed globally
- Appreciation for technology and the opportunity it presents to improve global royalty collection
- Able to travel internationally from time to time to New York and other European offices.