Downtown Music Holdings is a global company that owns, manages, and develops businesses with a vision for a more equitable and innovative music ecosystem.
With operations across North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Latin America, we are the world’s leading provider of end-to-end services to artists, songwriters, labels, music publishers and other rights holders. Through our portfolio of companies — Downtown Music Publishing, Songtrust® and the AVL Digital Group — we manage millions of music copyrights, with a catalog that spans more than 100 years of popular music and the single largest independent sound recording catalog in the industry.
Our integrated platforms help democratize global music rights management and simplify the distribution, monetization, and promotion of creative works.
As the primary corporate officer responsible for all revenue-generating processes, this role provides an unprecedented opportunity to transform the music industry and shift the balance of power for independent rights holders globally. You will oversee a licensing team working across all relevant subsidiaries (e.g. Downtown Music Publishing, Songtrust, CD Baby,® AdRev®, DashGoS M , Soundrop®). The role covers multiple rights types (including both song copyrights and sound recordings) and will be responsible for devising the group-wide strategy of our licensing, catalog marketing and income tracking across all major pay sources. The CRO is also responsible for the company’s global digital licensing strategy, focusing on the exploitation of our comprehensive catalog of owned and administered song copyrights and sound recordings through various streaming music partnerships and new music initiatives (fitness apps, social media, etc.).
- Optimize integration and alignment between revenue-related functions, including licensing negotiations, catalog marketing, income tracking and analysis, across all company business units.
- Manage the digital licensing team and collaborate with division leaders on all licensing and fulfillment strategy, including enforcement and audits.
- Own the company’s global digital licensing strategy through various streaming music partnerships and new music initiatives.
- Strengthen relationships with the Group’s key digital partners, including DSPs and licensing organizations.
- Educate key partners as to the scale, professionalism and values of the enterprise.
- Serve as the key business owner and point of contact when specific licensing conflicts or copyright issues cannot be addressed at the business unit level.
- Drive visibility on DSP related issues at the Group’s C-level.
- Lead negotiation of new deals and manage renewals of existing deals in coordination with division heads and digital partnership managers at each of the relevant subsidiaries.
- Develop a digital strategy for the Group taking into account the unique culture and on-going day-to-day operational realities of each unit.
- Collaborate with Downtown’s executive management team to align digital priorities within the overall growth/expansion strategy.
- Analyse key trends within the digital music space to source new business opportunities that advance revenue growth and licensing efficiencies .
- Act as company’s senior liaison to industry groups and trade associations in connection with licensing, enforcement and lobbying efforts.
- Provide guidance for other teams where valuable.
- Benchmark and continuously monitor performance of deals to ensure strategic, revenue, and operational objectives are met across the group.
- Expertise in digital content commercial models, e.g., ad-supported and subscription streaming, user-generated content services, statutory compulsory license terms and rates, direct vs. collective licensing, etc.
- Experienced negotiator with strong business acumen and strategic thinking.
- Strong analysis and Excel modeling skills.
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills, and ability to influence people at all levels.
- Curiosity and an interest in leading an important segment of a rapidly growing global enterprise operating across multiple time zones.
Required or preferred education/experience:
- 10+ years in the digital space negotiating content licensing deals.
- 5+ years licensing in the music industry.
- MBA or JD a plus, Bachelor’s degree required.
To apply for this role, please send an updated resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Downtown’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and encourage all to apply.
NYC (preferred) / London / Los Angeles.