Founded in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world’s leading rights-management firms, headquartered in New York with offices in Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, and Tokyo. The company’s catalog spans over seven decades of popular music, encompassing some of the world’s most beloved songwriters and artists including, The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Bruce Springsteen, One Direction, Motley Crüe, Hans Zimmer, The Kinks, Cy Coleman, Social Distortion, Sturgill Simpson, Carla Bruni, and more
The company’s technology platform, Songtrust, a Billboard Magazine Top Music Startup, is revolutionizing the traditional music publishing business. Our clients – ranging from indie artists to Grammy Nominees – retain 100% ownership of their copyrights and receive professional publishing administration services. Our catalog consists of over 1,000,000 songs that have been performed and recorded by premiere artists.
Downtown is seeking an Accountancy Coordinator to join our growing team in the London office.
Our ideal candidate possesses a degree in accountancy or a related major, thrives in a fast-paced and agile organization, and has a strong interest in the music industry.
What will you be doing?:
- Perform all aspects of cash receipt and cash disbursement accounting operations, including daily reconciliation of cash balances and ensuring our vendors are paid on a timely basis
- Work with our NY-based Controller and Accounting Manager to assist in establishing processes for monthly and quarterly closing of the books. More specifically you will:
o Reconciling balance sheet accounts each month
o Analyze and provide commentary on fluctuations/variances in our key accounts each month
- Work with the UK Managing Director and Office Manager on the budgeting process, including tracking of actual results to budge.
- Prepare VAT filings and returns for all our UK-based entities and clearly communicate VAT positions to the Controller.
- Work with our NY-based Royalties team to assist in processing and accounting of royalties owed to clients
- Review and reconcile monthly employee expense reports
What qualifications do you have?:
- Possess a degree in Accountancy or related area of study
- 3+ years bookkeeping experience, including managing an accounts payable/trade creditors function
- Strong with Microsoft Excel, and a big plus if you have skills with Excel macros, Power Query, Power Pivot, or Power BI
- Numerically obsessed, highly meticulous, and organized
- Accountable and take ownership of projects you undertake
- Analytical and curious — you ask a lot of questions
- Ability to communicate financial information in a clear, professional manner
- Experience in music royalties or other media royalties-based businesses a plus
- Can do personality and a passion for music
To apply for this position, please send a current resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org