Defensive Music is an administration based music rights company specialising in music publishing, phonogram producer and performer neighbouring rights.
We employ extensive expertise and direct collection society affiliation infrastructure in most major and many minor territories to administer rights and collect royalties for our songwriter, record company and performer clients. We pride ourselves on providing the most comprehensive administration of our clients’ rights possible, whilst doing so under competitive terms.
With a focus on high technical capabilities, we utilise a stack of various custom, bespoke and commercial IT solutions and advanced workflows & automation, to carry out what would ordinarily require much larger teams.
We are seeking applicants for the position of a Financial & Royalty Accounting Administrator. The role will include duties mainly related to the entire royalty revenue invoicing/reconciliation/processing in and out process, and inclusive of but not limited to bookkeeping and royalty accounting system administration based tasks.
Viable candidates for this role would ideally be persons with broad experience and skills acquired from both a strong financial accounting background as well as from music royalty accounting & music copyright.
We will however consider applications from those with strengths more focused in either areas who are confident in and passionate about furthering their abilities, and we are prepared to provide additional required training.
The ability to self-motivate, work independently, to deadlines, taking tasks and owning them with attention to detail is key. Successful applicants will be required to be proactive, able to quickly absorb and retain knowledge and information, learn new skills and be committed to achieving objectives.
As an essential member of the operational team, who’s importance and intimate understanding of our internal processes will only continue to grow in value – strong opportunities for career progression will exist into the transition of the role of Financial Controller, managing and passing on duties to junior accounting staff, as the company continues to expand.
Ideally candidates should be based in the United Kingdom, however applications from desirable persons residing in Europe will be considered. We are a distributed team working from various networked locations and this position would be worked from an employee’s own residence/facilities, with all required on-site IT equipment provided to them.
- General bookkeeping tasks in Financial Accounting System.
- Assistance with misc. ledger VAT100, ECSL, BAS/GST, CT61, R185 and other exports and fillings from Financial Accounting System.
- Royalty distribution management including invoice raising/entry, currency exchange trading and bank receipt reconciliation in Financial Accounting System.
- Royalty revenue accrual/deferral journal entry and management in Financial Accounting System.
- Distribution statement file pre-processing.
- Distribution statement file processing and loading in Royalty Accounting System.
- Direct mechanical and synchronization rights license administration and reconciliation in Royalty Accounting System.
- Some Copyright & Agreement administration in Royalty Accounting System.
- Outgoing Bills royalty payments from Financial Accounting System.
- Investigating and answering internal and external royalty allocation queries and issues.
- Assisting and liaising with Directors and Accountants.
- Some ad hoc data entry, processing and reporting tasks across relating to and across all business processes and activities.
- A quiet home office or desk space with broadband internet connection (Minimum 10mb/s downstream & 4mb/s upstream).
- High numeracy and computer literacy, with an advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office software including Excel (V/HLOOKUP & Pivot Table experience required and Visual Basic coding knowledge desirable). Basic understanding and experience of SQL script also desirable.
- At the very least a conceptual understanding of basic accrual and cash based financial accounting practices, charts of accounts, profit and loss & balance sheets, VAT treatments and cross border supplies and royalty payments.
- Some previous experience of financial accounting/bookkeeping systems required. An advanced working knowledge of specific system ‘Xero’ highly desirable.
- At the very least a conceptual understanding of music copyright, royalties and a familiarity with royalty statements.
- Previous experience using custom of commercial music royalty accounting systems (such as Music Maestro, Record Maestro, Korrect, Backbeat, MusiCalc, RoyaltyShare, Right Track, Simply Royalties etc..) highly desirable.
- AAT or equivalent financial accounting qualifications highly desirable. ACA, ACCA or CIM study path of significant interest.
Dependent on experience.
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.