We are UMG, the Universal Music Group. We are the world’s leading music company.
In everything we do, we are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries.
We identify and develop recording artists and songwriters, and we produce, distribute and promote the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music to delight and entertain fans around the world.
Founded in 1984, Def Jam Recordings has represented the cutting-edge in hip-hop music for more than 35 years. Def Jam began as a maverick independent label inspired by downtown New York City’s vibrant street culture and the emerging sound of hip-hop, pioneered by iconic stars like LL Cool J, Slick Rick, The Beastie Boys and Public Enemy.
Over the following two decades, Def Jam established its dominance with superstar acts like Jay-Z, DMX, Ja Rule, Method Man & Redman, Ludacris, Rihanna, Jeezy, and the inimitable Kanye West. Now in its fourth decade, Def Jam’s music and lifestyle has grown into a global brand – synonymous with creativity, quality and authenticity – encompassing a diverse roster of marquee and emerging stars like West, Justin Bieber, Alessia Cara, Logic, Pusha T, Jadakiss, Vince Staples, Jeremih, Big Sean, YG, 2 Chainz, Dave East, and Jhene Aiko, among others.
Today, Def Jam has reaffirmed its passion for and commitment to hip-hop culture, and has expanded its global brand reach to become the most-followed major label on all major social media platforms.
How we LEAD
The Associate Director, Marketing will support and collaborate with the Marketing team in the timely creation and execution of marketing plans that align with the overall vision and strategy for assigned releases, maximizing sales and exposure; reflective of strategic goals, release-specific objectives and financial guidelines.
How You’ll Create
- Oversee and manage all project dates, deadlines, and tasks related to the assigned artist roster.
- Build and execute marketing plans across divisions for all artists in partnership with internal and external stakeholders and outside vendors. Should meet all deadlines and fully execute plan in all respective areas.
- Help facilitate and optimize the timely delivery of items to Commercial Partnership teams to meet sales, marketing and production deadlines.
- Function as liaison with Creative Department to ensure all marketing deadlines are met, including initiation and creation of all release materials, and marketing elements as needed.
- Assist with the managing of total budget and allocation of funds for each marketing team, and maintain marketing budgets and monthly forecasting for all active projects.
- Coordinate album and single specific promotions with National Promotions team, ensuring all assets are delivered on –time and that promotions reflect album specific objectives
- Ensure on-time delivery of all marketing assets for releases or campaigns by coordinating deadlines, video content and other marketing materials for all projects.
- Support in all areas handling marketing responsibilities including financial reports, sales analysis, presentation decks, legal affairs, etc.
- Assist with all artist and marketing-driven events. May include booking artist travel and communication, securing venues, gear rentals, and coordinating internal meetings
- Regular pulling of data from internal and external industry sources to ensure consistent information flow.
- Create and keep current one-sheets for sales, promotion, etc.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Bring your VIBE
- Very strong organizational skills
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Ability to work with limited supervision and with multiple stakeholders / individuals in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to prioritize and multi task efficiently
- Proven Project/Budget Management Skills
- Ability to successfully write and develop marketing plans
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships, including artist and artist managers
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work schedule
- Must be discrete and professional at all times and maintain absolute confidentiality as this position regularly handles sensitive information.
- Travel is a requirement.
- 2-3 years of marketing experience
- Music industry/entertainment experience
- Prefer 4-year college degree, if possible in marketing, business or equivalent
The actual base salary offered depends on a variety of factors, which may include, as applicable, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, specific and unique skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job. All candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Be part of an entrepreneurial, global organization that values authenticity, drive, creativity, relationships, and a competitive spirit
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and FSA options, as well as:
- 100% coverage for out-patient mental health services
- Wellbeing reimbursements for fitness classes, spa treatments, meal services, travel, and so much more (up to $720/year)
- A lifetime fertility support allowance of $30,000 to plan participants
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement
- 100% immediately vested 401(k) match on the first 5% of your contribution on eligible compensation
- Variety of ways to prioritize much-needed time away from work including:
- Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) for exempt employees
- 3-weeks PTO for non-exempt employees
- 2-weeks paid Winter Break
- 10 Paid Holidays (including Juneteenth and Wellbeing Day)
- Summer Fridays (between Memorial Day and Labor Day)
- Generous paid parental leave for every type of parent
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
All UMG employees are currently required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide proof of a negative PCR or Antigen test before entering any Company offices unless they have been approved for an exemption or unless prohibited by applicable law.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are an E-Verify employer.
Marketing, Streaming & Digital Media
$65,250 – $146,960
The actual base salary offered depends on a variety of factors, which may include, as applicable, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, specific and unique skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.
All candidates are encouraged to apply.