Title: Sr. Director Copyright
Type: Regular Full-Time
CONCORD IS THE INDEPENDENT, WORLDWIDE LEADER IN THE DEVELOPMENT, ACQUISITION, AND MANAGEMENT OF RECORDED MUSIC, MUSIC PUBLISHING, AND THEATRICAL PERFORMANCE RIGHTS.
With offices in Los Angeles, New York, Nashville, Miami, London, and Berlin, Concord has a diverse and vibrant roster of active recording artists, composers, and songwriters, and a vast and historic catalog of works by some of the most treasured names in music history.
Concord Music Publishing owns or administers more than 600,000 copyrighted musical works. Spanning nearly two centuries of song, through a vast array of genres and territories, Concord represents the world’s most celebrated songwriters, composers and lyricists.
Position Purpose: This position is a senior-level role within Concord’s US Copyright department, leading a team of six employees across two core functions. Primary responsibilities include managing and overseeing the processing and system entry of all Concord US repertoire as well as the registration and monitoring of Concord’s vast catalog of musical works. Other responsibilities include optimizing and improving processes and procedures, identifying new technology and tools and helping to strategically coordinate with senior leadership and partners across Concord’s global teams.
The ideal candidate for this role is a solution-oriented, strategic, and collaborative leader with a proven demonstration of developing and managing productive teams that effectively drive improvement. You are equally adept at solving problems analytically as you are creatively and have exceptional attention to detail. You can balance what to handle directly versus what to delegate to team members. You are committed to delivering best-in-class client service to Concord’s songwriters and artists. A growth mindset as well as someone who effectively works under general direction is critical to success in this role.
What you’ll do
Oversee the day-to-day operations of two core US Copyright functions at Concord Music Publishing: Song Processing and Work Registration & Monitoring.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the delivery of CWR and catalog shipment files to North American PROs, MROs and digital service partners.
- Ensuring that CWR work registration issues (e.g., rejections caused by data issues, conflicts with other publishers), anomalies and errors are addressed and resolved by the team in a timely and systematic fashion.
- Developing preemptive monitoring and auditing procedures to ensure that all Concord repertoire submitted to theNorth American PROs and MROs is successfully registered.
- Liaising with Concord’s Income Tracking team on work registration remediation assignments/ projects.
- Ensuring all delivered US repertoire is accurately and timely entered/updated, maintaining high quality data and SLA standards.
- Designing and implementing systematic quality assurance procedures to review and validate song data entered into internal systems.
- Managing, assigning and responding to research and validation requests for missing or incomplete song data, liaising with internal teams where necessary.
- Helping design and implement process, workflow and technology improvements.
- Preparing analysis, reporting and metrics for senior leadership and management teams.
- Helping establish and report KPIs and SLAs for each area of responsibility.
- General day-to-day management includes recruiting, hiring, onboarding and retention of staff; ensuring processes and tasks are delivered upon agreed timelines and standards; defining project parameters and progress metrics; input for the development of the department budget; setting goals and evaluating performance.
- Maintaining and developing relationships with internal stakeholders and external business partners, including collective management organizations, digital service companies, record labels and other income sources.
- Handling and/or managing ad-hoc projects as business needs dictate or as assigned by supervisor.
What you’ll need:
- 8+ years of music publishing copyright experience with a strong preference for experience at a major US publisher.
- Demonstrated experience working directly with the North American societies, MROs and PROs.
- Demonstrated leadership in building, developing, and adapting functional and productive teams, including ability to lead, delegate and position team for maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Proven track record of implementing technology and process improvements.
- Demonstrated experience of developing and consistently providing metrics/reporting for senior leadership and management.
- Solution-oriented with strong problem-solving skills with a drive for constant improvement.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Able to articulate and explain complex information, adapting presentation and focus to varying audiences.
- Proven ability to navigate a fluid and dynamic environment with multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Comfortable working with and querying large volumes of data.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel; basic understanding of SQL or other querying languages is a plus.
*This is a hybrid role requiring 3 days minimum on-site.
At Concord, we offer comprehensive medical and wellness benefits, generous time off, parental leave, charity match, paid time off for volunteering, and other fun company perks. We have beautiful new offices and a culture committed to supporting everyone’s growth and development.
Concord is an equal opportunity employer. We employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe that diversity, inclusion and equity is paramount for the creation of music, theater and film that celebrates and empowers all cultures