Sr. Director, Business and Legal Affairs, Concord Label Group
Job Locations: US-CA-Los Angeles, Remote*
Category: Business Affairs/Legal
Type: Regular Full-Time
CONCORD IS THE INDEPENDENT, WORLDWIDE LEADER IN THE DEVELOPMENT, ACQUISITION, AND MANAGEMENT OF RECORDED MUSIC, MUSIC PUBLISHING, AND THEATRICAL PERFORMANCE RIGHTS.
With offices in Los Angeles, New York, Nashville, Miami, London, and Berlin, Concord has a diverse and vibrant roster of active recording artists, composers, and songwriters, and a vast and historic catalog of works by some of the most treasured names in music history.
Concord Label Group is comprised of six active labels across many musical genres: Easy Eye Sound, Fantasy Records, Fearless Records, Loma Vista Recordings, Rounder Records, and Concord Jazz. Concord is also home to the #1 kids’ music brand, Kidz Bop.
The company’s historic labels are managed by its Craft Recordings team and include such storied imprints as Fania, Independiente, Milestone, Musart, Nitro, Pablo, Prestige, Riverside, Savoy, Specialty, Stax, Telarc, Varèse Sarabande, Vee-Jay and Wind-up. Concord’s master recordings portfolio contains more than 12,000 active albums and includes no less than 271 GRAMMY® winners (representing approximately 6.2% of all the GRAMMYs® ever awarded) and over 400 gold, platinum, multi-platinum and diamond RIAA certifications across 215 titles.
Key team member in the management of Concord’s Label Group business affairs functions supporting the full range of Concord’s labels: Easy Eye Sound, Loma Vista Recordings, Kidz Bop, Fantasy Records, Rounder Records, Concord Records, Concord Jazz and Craft Recordings.
Core Responsibilities: Provide business affairs and legal guidance, oversight and legal services regarding Concord’s frontline and catalog recorded music businesses; negotiate and draft contracts, facilitate implementation of contracts, interpret contracts and rights, ensure compliance with contractual and other legal obligations, and take necessary actions to acquire, effectuate and protect rights.
Outline of Specific Functions
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of recorded music legal agreements, including, but not limited to, recording agreements, producer agreements, license agreements and other music-related agreements
- Provide legal research and general legal advice to Business & Legal Affairs Department and Concord Label
- Group division generally with respect to rights, copyright / trademark issues, sweepstakes and contests, promotions, and other matters, as needed
- Draft cease and desist letters for copyright and trademark infringements
- Assist with third party claims and litigation matters
- Perform due diligence and drafting support for recorded music mergers and acquisitions
- Research, advise and liaise with other departments concerning artist contractual requirements
- Manage audit claims
- Provide support to EVP Business & Legal Affairs, Concord Label Group; General Counsel; SVP Business &
- Legal Affairs; others in Business & Legal Affairs Department; and outside counsel as necessary
What you’ll need:
- J.D. and California and/or Tennessee bar admission required
- Minimum 5 years of recorded music-related experience in a law firm and/or business/legal affairs department of a major music company
- Excellent drafting, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize, work in a fast-paced environment and interact with all levels of personnel
- Self-starter, who has the desire to be proactive, take initiative and be resourceful
- Ability to keep information confidential and handle sensitive information and documents
- Capable of working effectively in a team environment and handling and managing a heavy volume of work
- Position will be based in Concord’s Los Angeles office (Concord’s Nashville office will be considered)
*This is a hybrid role requiring 3 days minimum on-site.
Salary range: $125,000-$150,000
At Concord, we offer comprehensive medical and wellness benefits, generous time off, parental leave, charity match, paid time off for volunteering, and other fun company perks. We have beautiful new offices and a culture committed to supporting everyone’s growth and development.
Concord is an equal opportunity employer. We employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We believe that diversity, inclusion and equity is paramount for the creation of music, theater and film that celebrates and empowers all cultures.