Director, Business & Legal Affairs – Concord Music Publishing, London
Concord is looking to employ a full-time Director, Business & Legal Affairs in London for its music publishing division. The role will primarily involve providing legal and business affairs support to Concord’s popular music division, reporting to VP, Business & Legal Affairs.
The successful candidate will also be called on to support other areas of Concord Music Publishing as required (for example, Boosey & Hawkes (classical) and Concord FTV (film and television), including in connection with the acquisition of new catalogues of all genres.
Concord is the independent, worldwide leader in the development, management and acquisition of music publishing, sound recordings and theatrical performance rights. It has offices in Los Angeles, New York, Nashville, Miami, London, Berlin, Australia & New Zealand.
CONCORD MUSIC PUBLISHING represents more than 600,000 works by the world’s most celebrated songwriters, composers and lyricists. Spanning nearly two centuries of compositions, across a wide range of genres, Concord Music Publishing also represents a diverse roster of contemporary writers and composers.
Concord Music Publishing is home to the world’s leading classical music publisher, Boosey & Hawkes, and operates exclusive joint ventures with Pulse Music Group and Hillary Lindsey’s Hang Your Hat Music.
- Assisting with all aspects of legal & business affairs work for Concord’s music publishing division including:
- Preparing deal proposals and drafting and negotiating exclusive songwriter agreements, administration agreements and other agreements;
- Handling post-closing issues, including preparing agreement summaries and liaising with Concord’s Copyright, Royalties and Finance teams to set up new deals and works;
- Responding to diverse queries from Concord colleagues and Concord clients;
- Maintaining up-to-date records of the status of Concord’s deals;
- Maintaining up to date contact precedents;
- Providing guidance and support to the team’s paralegal, as required;
- Providing support to SVP and VP, Business and Legal Affairs in London.
Other tasks to include
Working with the Business & Legal Affairs team on acquisitions of new catalogues across all musical genres, including assisting with due diligence;
Overseeing copyright infringement and piracy issues; and
Assisting with other legal & business affairs tasks as required.
What we are looking for
- A qualified lawyer, from either an in-house or private practice background, with a solid understanding of copyright and moral rights and entertainment industry agreements.
- Entertainment/media industry experience, with a strong preference for candidates with music industry experience (ideally including music publishing).
- You will ideally have between 1-3 years of post-qualification experience, but PQE levels are offered as a guide only. We will consider applications from candidates who can demonstrate the necessary skills for the role;
- Someone bright, personable, commercially-minded, with good organisational and communication skills, excellent attention to detail, the tenacity to follow things through and the ability to multi-task and prioritise a busy and varied work-load.
- The role would suit someone who appreciates a diverse range of musical genres and who is eager to learn, take on responsibility and work as part of a close-knit team.
- Competitive salary
- Private medical and dental insurance
- 28 days annual leave per annum, plus ad hoc days given by the company
- Hybrid working schedule
- Competitive pension scheme
Please send a CV to our retained agent, Nick Wasserman of Handle Recruitment, using the link provided. Please note that any direct applications will be forwarded to Handle for their consideration on our behalf.
Concord is an equal opportunity employer. We employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of age, gender assignment, marital status, pregnancy, disability, race, religion, sex as required by law. We believe that diversity, inclusion and equity is paramount for the creation of music, theatre and film that celebrates and empowers all cultures.