CD Baby, the largest independent music distributor, is looking for an established Music Licensing Agent/Consultant to represent the CD Baby Licensing Catalog to Music Supervisors and other music users.
The Music Licensing Agent will represent, pitch and evangelize CD Baby’s Licensing Catalog, one of the largest music licensing catalogs with over 2.4 million commercially released, all one-stop and pre-cleared for both sound recording and 100% publishing licensing.
This unique catalog is all real artists released to major music services, is Shazam-able, spans the globe with direct rights from the artists/songwriters and CD Baby is the publishing administrator for over 130,000 songwriters.
The position will work to license songs from the CD Baby Licensing catalog in film, TV, video games, commercials, advertising, and other sync and licensing opportunities. The Music Licensing Agent has the ability to make instant impact with establishing CD Baby Licensing’s capabilities to the music user community. The agent will work with the CD Baby Sync team in Portland, OR to field music searches.
This role is scoped as a consulting position to be based in Los Angeles, but could become a full time position.
This role reports to CD Baby’s VP of Music Publishing and Rights Management.
- Develops and maintains relationships with music supervisors, television/film music executives, trailer houses, and advertising executives for the purposes of recommending music, marketing CD Baby Licensing’s catalog and securing sync licensing placements for CD Baby clients
- Manage, educate and provide feedback on music searches with CD Baby Sync team in Portland, OR
- Pitch, negotiate fees and licensing rights with various music supervisors and licensing clients
- Prospect and develop new business opportunities in the music licensing space
- Strategically and effectively communicate opportunities internally
- Build knowledge of market value and curation of CD Baby’s controlled music assets
- Develop and maintain CRM for pitches, sales and accounting for licenses
- Regularly attend industry events in media, music licensing and supervisor community
- Support senior management in overall corporate strategy initiatives involving music licensing
- Additional duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Have existing relationships with media companies, music supervisors, advertising agencies, global brands and other music users or music buyers
- Track record of representing music for licensing purposes
- Experience with music licensing, placement negotiations or copyright clearance
- Self-starter who is comfortable with external pitching/sales
- Excellent communication skills, organization, follow-through and attention to detail
- Dynamic, engaging, collaborative and outgoing personality with the tenacity and commitment needed to nurture relationships as well as deliver on day-to-day work
- Flexibility to work outside of normal hours to attend evening industry events
- Ability thrive working independently and remotely (Supervisor in NYC, Sync team in Portland, OR, sister companies’ offices in Los Angeles)