Based at the iconic Capitol Tower in the heart of Hollywood, Capitol Music Group is home to some of the best known labels in modern music; encompassing the jazz icons of Blue Note, Capitol’s generations of pop stars, and the legendary recording of Motown to name but a few.
We produce, distribute and promote some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the industry. This role is a fantastic opportunity to join an organization on the cutting edge of the modern music business and, as part of Universal Music Group, a chance to be part of the world’s leading Music Company.
Capitol Music Group is looking for a Director of Urban Marketing to be a part of the Caroline/Capitol Marketing Team located in Hollywood, CA who will oversee and direct all aspects of day-to-day marketing and will partner with our labels/managers/artists to develop marketing campaigns that strategize the best course to market for their releases, a role specializing in Urban (Hip-hop/Rap/R&B) Music.
This role will work in tandem with the various departments under the direction of the VP, Marketing, EVP & GM, Caroline.
- Marketing Strategy: Work with our partners to create a strong marketing campaign that is engaging fans, raising visibility and driving commercial results.
- Project Management: Act as the marketing lead for specific projects and labels. This includes developing the overall marketing plan, budget and strategy for the campaign and then executing it.
- Marketing Plans: When not running a campaign, the candidate will be responsible for guiding our label partners in creating well thought out and creative plans.
- Project Budgeting: Work with our label partners to create smart marketing budgets that help deliver maximum visibility while also focusing on the highest return on investment.
- Label Meetings: Be available for all label meetings to act as a sounding board and strategist.
- Weekly Updates: Create weekly updates for the team highlighting growth areas and opportunities on priority releases. Also work with label partners to ensure they are consistently delivering concise updates.
- PR Outreach & Guidance: Help to suggest appropriate PR teams for our partners and act as the lead in liaising with them on the creation of a strong PR campaign that compliments the other marketing and sales activities.
- Label/Artist Relations: Available during negotiations as it relates to marketing strategy and label relations. This role is generally the first point of contact after a deal has been signed so that marketing plan development and marketing strategy can begin immediately to maximize timelines.
- Digital Marketing Strategy: Work with the Caroline digital department to ensure that our partners are creating creative, innovative campaigns that engage fans utilizing pre-existing social platforms and new technologies.
- Community Relations: understand, be immersed and have thorough knowledge of urban music sector with experience of promoter circuit, urban charts, digital and social media platforms, and grassroots/street marketing
- Data Driven Analytics: know how to query and speak to specific data points that are meaningful to account relations and artist/manager expectations
- Culture Driven Focus: know of, be immersed in, and speak eloquently to the pulse/relevance of an artist within the culture of the scene, conveying what is meaningful for account relations and benchmarking artist/manager expectations
- Caroline “branding”/visibility: Act as a “face” to Caroline, maintaining a presence at concerts and events.
- Must be tech savvy with deep understanding of current & forthcoming technologies and general market trends
- Candidates should be creative, innovative, detail-oriented and resourceful. Must be able to prioritize and multi-task
- Build and manage artist budgets to support online marketing
- Knowledge of social media best practices and how to put together a social media plan, build a fan base, etc.
- Must have strong music industry relationships and vision to work with in house and 3rd party PR, Promo and online marketing teams
- Experience strategizing and executing marketing campaigns, as well as pitching proposals for prospective clients (please be prepared to provide examples of or discuss campaigns you’ve worked on)
- Experience with cross-promotional marketing and branding
- Existing relationships with labels and/or brands and existing contacts at digital platforms
- Advanced level artist relations and/or third-party distribution experience
- 4+years’ experience in music industry marketing
• Degree preferred
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.