Bucks Music is an international and independent music publisher, with a rich musical heritage and has been responsible for developing and launching the careers of legends of the music industry. The company was founded by David Platz who was responsible for signing The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Marc Bolan, The Move, Procol Harum and Black Sabbath to their first publishing deals.
Our current roster includes, Ill Blu, One Bit, Professor Green, Brian Eno, Chloe Howl, Fat White Family, Pete Molinari, Pete Doherty, Blood Red Shoes, Matthew Herbert, Nina Kraviz, Radioslave, Day One, Alex Metric, Freeland, The Acid, Black Daniel, The Districts, Sleaford Mods, Owiny Sigoma Band, Mikill Pane, Hafdis Huld, Misty’s Big Adventure, DJ Format, Carl Cox, and many more.
We are looking for a Head of Legal & Business Affairs to provide advice on a range of commercial matters. Acting as sole counsel, you will report directly to the Managing Director.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing legal advice to the business in respect of all commercial matters, including intellectual property ownership, liability and other contractual matters
- Advising the business on the scope of rights controlled by Bucks Music Group Limited, in addition to the affiliated companies such as BDI Music Limited
- Drafting and negotiating (where applicable) all commercial agreements, which includes but is not limited to exclusive songwriter and sub-publishing agreements, sponsorship agreements synchronisation agreements (film, TV, adverts, computer games), letters of amendment, extension agreements, any option exercise letters and NDAs
- Advising on commercial and legal terms for internal and external clients on legal and commercial queries in connection with, for example, the interpretation of contracts, royalty/financial queries and copyright issues
- Researching chain of title and advising on legal and commercial consequence of such research
- Dealing with contentious IPR issues, including but not limited to investigating and advising on all instances of actual and potential IP infringement including sound-alikes, unauthorised synchronisation usages, sample infringements and concluding any settlement paperwork
- Approving and negotiating controlled compositions clauses for with record companies to obtain the best possible position
- Working closely with all departments to conclude and resolve any contentious and non-contentious issues
- Cultivate and maintain direct relationships with clients, managers, and external counsel and serve as the first point of contact to be able to address the business’s legal needs
To be considered, you should be a qualified lawyer from either an in-house or private practice background, with a solid understanding of copyright and moral rights. You will ideally have entertainment/media industry experience, with a preference for candidates with music industry experience (ideally in music publishing).
Please note that we have retained the services of Handle Recruitment to conduct this search, and any direct applications will be forwarded to them for their consideration on our behalf. Please send your CV directly to [email protected]