POSITION SUMMARY: Executes the day-to-day legal work of the Creative departments business affairs group in matters involving high profile affiliates, publishers, managers, business managers, catalog purchasers, catalogs, songs, royalty assignments, negotiating and drafting of advance and guarantee agreements, term sheets, affiliation agreements, sponsorship agreements and venue agreements. Advises the Creative team members on BMI policy and legal matters in their work, and to assure BMI’s compliance with laws and policies when interacting BMI’s affiliates and the music industry at large.
LOCATION: New York, NY or Los Angeles, CA office. BMI has transitioned back to working in the office on a regular hybrid schedule. At present, most team members are expected in the office three (3) days a week. Decisions regarding future transitions will take place in phases as BMI continues to closely monitor COVID-19 as employee safety is our priority.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Negotiates, drafts, and finalizes advance and guarantee agreements for affiliates and sponsorship and venue agreement for various events and award shows hosted and organized by the Creative department.
- Facilitates and directs the administrative process for fully executed advance and guarantee agreements.
- Facilitates, drafts and negotiates catalog sales between affiliates and outside third parties.
- Reviews for accuracy and completeness and alters as needed agreements with affiliates and publishers prepared by staff attorneys, assistants, and paralegals.
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of BMI’s role, practices, policies, account maintenance processes and competitive pressures to assess how BMI and our affiliates are impacted by changing market dynamics.
- Work in tandem with the Licensing and International departments to identify repertoire goals and strategies.
- Approves royalty withholds and releases in central database.
- Interfaces with the Creative and Distribution departments on issues of royalty disputes, copyright termination and renewal.
- Addresses issues involved in royalty assignments and bank loans against BMI royalties
- Instructs members of the Creative department, accounting and distribution and administration services in handling of certain matters.
- Regular attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supports our BMI Core Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s and Juris Doctor degrees.
- Minimum five (5) years’ related experience at performing rights organization, music publishing company or record company reading, analyzing, and drafting agreements common in the music industry, detailed knowledge of copyright law and performing rights, especially as related to BMI’s role in the music industry and its policies and practices, extensive experience drafting agreements for songwriters and composers, basic familiarity with preparation of correspondence and memoranda.
- Ability to read, write and understand English and to communicate points in clear and comprehensible manner via telephone and in writing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Computer literate.
- Ability to express sympathy sincerely with people while remaining firm in maintaining contrary positions.
- Ability to balance company policies with legal obligations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to recognize strengths among staff and delegate work appropriately, as well as maintain efficiency among both professional and support staff.
What We Give to You:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K with employer match
- Flexible spending accounts
- Paid vacation and paid sick/personal time
- 11 paid calendar holidays
- Paid volunteer time off
- Summer hours that offer more time for fun in the sun
- Company paid life insurance
- Up to 12 weeks paid parental leave
- Tuition assistance for qualified team members
- Commuter benefits (New York)
- Amazing and engaging culture
- Employee Resource Groups
Team members who are expected to work in BMI offices, travel for business, or interact with the public on BMI’s behalf must submit proof of vaccination unless contrary to state regulations or a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
BROADCAST MUSIC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: All applicants will receive equal opportunity for employment without of race, color, sex, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran’s or marital status, disability, or any other cultural factor.