This individual is responsible for the management of a personal case load of BMI arbitrations, infringements and estate files. Infringement file management includes the oversight of federal lawsuits in conjunction with outside counsel throughout the country. Arbitration file management includes the collection by the Attorney of BMI accounts that are in arrears. Estate file management includes the administration of the affiliation of the estate of the decedent songwriter, and management of all related disputes. This individual may also assist on other matters undertaken by the Legal Department on a regular basis.
Nashville, TN office. Effective November 1, this position will report to the office (2) days per week and work remotely for (3) days a week for the remainder of 2021. Effective January 1, this position will report to the TN office Monday-Thursday and work remotely on Fridays until further notice.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Prosecute and manage numerous copyright infringement actions throughout the U.S., including drafting motion and discovery papers, negotiating settlements, reviewing song ownership documentation, attending settlement conferences and supervising outside counsel.
- Prosecute and manage numerous collection arbitrations involving BMI licensed radio and TV stations, including supervising collection attorneys throughout the U.S. and negotiating settlements.
- Manage estate files to affect an orderly transition from the deceased affiliate to his/her successor. Engage in communications with estates of decedent writers, obtain new membership agreements with the estate; obtain all necessary testamentary documentation; resolve any disputes regarding the estates.
- Provide advice on and/or draft contracts between BMI and outside vendors.
- Interact with other BMI attorneys and BMI management with respect to the above responsibilities.
- Assist other attorneys in the Legal Department on specific projects when necessary.
- Supports BMI’s Core Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
- Regular attendance.
- Other duties as assigned
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: 4-year college degree and Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required. Admitted to the New York State Bar or Tennessee State Bar. In addition, fulfilling continuing legal education requirements is also required.
Experience: Minimum three (3) years legal experience, at least a portion of which should be in private practice in a law firm. Should have a background in litigation, including researching and drafting of briefs and memoranda and motion practice. Prior knowledge of copyright law and/or music industry or broadcasting experience a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to analyze business problems from a legal and practical perspective
- Ability to manage many projects at once and to prioritize them
- Ability to negotiate authoritatively and persuasively
- Ability to work cooperatively with other company executives
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Some travel required
License(s)/Certifications Required: Admission to the New York State Bar and/or Tennessee State Bar. Admission to practice in the federal courts is required. Notary Public license is desired but not necessary.
For the health and safety of our staff, BMI requires that all team members who are expected to work in BMI offices or interact with the public on BMI’s behalf, be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and pre-approved.
BROADCAST MUSIC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: All applicants will receive equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Apply Online: https://BMI.applicantstack.com/x/apply/a2wnzfbmir6c