Come As You Are.
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all forms. Equal opportunity runs deep in our core value of fairness and we are determined to create a truly inclusive work environment, where everyone can flourish. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are.
All applicants to BMG will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
*BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalogue, including the 1992 single ‘Come As You Are’.
Senior Director, Rights and Royalties
Your primary mission is to ensure BMG’s clients receive world-class service from onboarding through the lifetime of their relationship with BMG. This includes the oversight for the timely processing and notification of BMG’s publishing agreements, as well as the all aspects of royalty reporting and payments. Additional responsibilities include data updates (including, but not limited to song, royalty client and royalty rate data), Information Service/rights research, reporting and analysis.
You will interact and communicate with BMG’s clients to assist in providing the highest level of service and ensure queries are address fully and in a timely manner.
You will collaborate with international colleagues from various departments to ensure our core value of “Service Delivered Worldwide” is realized.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Leading a team of 10+ employees
- Establishing strong relationships with BMG’s business leaders
- Training and developing talent within your teams
- Establish and report KPIs for each area of responsibility
- Communication and, when needed, escalation of client inquiries to US business leads
- Improvement of workflows and processes
- Actively working to remove roadblocks that are preventing team members from success in their tasks
- Collaboration with peers in other territories to ensure continuity of tasks and processes
- Act as an escalation point for staff. Mush have a keen awareness of when to escalate further
- Oversee the complete processing of BMG’s US music publishing agreements (e.g., new Publishing, Modification,
- Extension, and Option agreements as applicable). Including but not limited to:
- Setup of clients, rates and agreement information in BMG’s internal databases
- Liaising and following up with Creative and Business Affairs as necessary on incomplete information.
- Review/verification of data entered by other members of the deal processing team.
- Feedback on setup and notification of agreements to Creative Dept/Business Affairs Dept and other deal stakeholders.
- Oversee regular reviews of significant accounts to track performance versus expectations
- Provide high quality insights based on analysis of royalty data
- Meet regularly with stakeholders in the business to keep them apprised of financial performance of key deals
- Royalty Data Maintenance & Cleanup
Investigate inquiries related to royalty rates raised by clients or internal staff
- Handle data updates and cleanup (e.g., IP, client, rate data)
- Initiate any required royalty adjustments
- Customer/Client/Business Partner Relations
Assist in maintaining and developing the relationships with partners. Including, but not limited to:
- Performing rights organizations.
- Industry organizations.
- Ensure senior management are apprised of significant client inquiries and update them regularly through resolution
- Engage in and handle other ongoing processes or ad-hoc projects as business needs dictate or as assigned by supervisor.
- You are a leader with a desire to develop and maintain a high performing team
- You are a problem solver who is not hesitant to dive into the details of an issue when necessary
- Drive to deliver excellent client service to BMG’s songwriters and artists is a top priority
- You thrive on collaboration and can develop key relationships at all levels of the organization
- Your time management skills are first rate, and you recognize the when to reprioritize work for yourself and your team. You can balance what to take on directly and what to delegate to team members
- You are not intimidated by difficult conversations.
- You thrive while working under pressure in a high volume, fast-paced environment.
- You have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to track and follow through on multiple concurrent projects to completion
- You are curious and driven to learn and take on new challenges, even when this takes you out of your comfort zone
- Significant experience in royalties/rights administration including demonstrative experience managing people and leading teams
- Advanced understanding of music publishing and copyright industry practices
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills; basic understanding of SQL or Python is a plus
- Experience with tracking and collaboration tools such as JIRA and Confluence
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills and the ability to identify when information is incomplete
- Strong contract interpretation skills and experience
It’s a plus if you have a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
What’s In It For You?
- Hybrid working environment – 3 days in office, 2 days to work from home.
- Robust medical, dental and vision packages.
- Dollar for dollar match of up to 6% into 401(k) after your first year with the company
- Flexible time off policy – no caps, no accruals!
- Annual fitness reimbursement and options to earn financial rewards through completing qualified wellness activities.
- Commuter benefits.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program offering 24/7 wellbeing support.
- Summer Fridays.
- Diverse possibilities of personal and professional development including internal trainings, mentorship programs, access to Lynda.com; and more!
- Artist showcases and playbacks.
BMG – est. 2008 – is the world’s fourth-biggest music company, the first new global player in the music business of the streaming age, and a record label and music publisher in one. Named in 2020 one of the world’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients. BMG’s 20 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over three million songs and recordings, including many of the most renowned and successful catalogs in popular music history.
BMG’s fresh approach includes production music, films, books, artist management, merchandise, neighboring rights, and live as well as music publishing and recordings off the same service platform. BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House and the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with. www.bmg.com