Come As You Are.
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all forms. Equal opportunity runs deep in our core value of fairness and we are determined to create a truly inclusive work environment, where everyone can flourish. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are.
All applicants to BMG will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
*BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalogue, including the 1992 single ‘Come As You Are’.
Sr. Director, Business & Legal Affairs
As attorney, Business & Legal Affairs you will have high visibility internally as well as in the industry in general. You will be the primary point of contact for the company with our artists’ attorneys and business team.
You will negotiate both routine and sophisticated commercial contracts in a fast paced, dynamic company that is the fastest growing company in the history of the fast paced and dynamic music industry.
You will embody and transmit the values of fairness and transparency to our external partners as well as your BMG colleagues, and you will maintain a global orientation to operations and opportunities.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and finalizing: (i) Recording Agreements (All types, including: Profit Share/Revenue Share/PPD), (ii) License Agreements, (iii) JV/Profit Share Agreements, (iv) Music Video Agreements, (v) Photography Agreements, (vi) Product Placement Agreements, (vii) Termination Agreements, (viii) Label Exclusivity Waiver Agreements, (ix) Producer Agreements, (x) Producer Certification of Employment Agreements, (xi) Promotional Radio Agreements and (xii) General Work for Hire/Acquisition Agreements for BMG as a whole;
- Reviewing, negotiating and finalizing agreements with third parties as part of standard ongoing business needs;
- Advising and counseling on copyright and intellectual property issues surrounding BMG’s US recorded music business and general business development;
- Working closely and providing meaningful business and legal guidance/counseling to the BMG Creative Team/Management (BMG LA, RISE RECORDS, RBC, BROKEN BOW RECORDS etc.) in connection with material terms contained in most if not all of the Agreements listed above;
- Working closely and providing meaningful business and legal guidance/counseling to the BMG Recorded Finance & Royalty Teams;
- Reviewing and negotiating boilerplate agreements with repeat or new vendors (Examples include: outside PR/Ad buying/Marketing firms);
- Policing and ensuring compliance with BMG Legal obligations and internal policies.
- You have an interest in the entertainment business particularly recorded music.
- You are comfortable working in a team and are a self-starter.
- Your time management skills allow you to meet deadlines easily.
- You have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to track and follow through on multiple concurrent projects to completion.
- You are comfortable navigating informal lines of communication and decision making.
- You are patient, determined and forward looking.
- J.D. from an accredited law school, State Bar license certification.
- Experience of active practice in a private law firm or in-house position focused on the representation of successful professional musical performing artists and/or companies.
- An understanding of recording agreements, master use license agreements, producer agreements, collaboration agreements, asset purchase agreements, copyright law, trademark law, contract law, personality rights, rights of publicity, law of defamation, media law, FCC and FTC regulations pertaining to satellite, over the air, and/or cable broadcast and internet transmissions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office suite.
What’s In It For You
- Hybrid working environment – 3 days in office, 2 days to work from home.
- Robust medical, dental and vision packages.
- Dollar for dollar match of up to 6% into 401(k) after your first year with the company
- Flexible time off policy – no caps, no accruals!
- Annual fitness reimbursement and options to earn financial rewards through completing qualified wellness activities.
- Commuter benefits.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program offering 24/7 wellbeing support.
- Summer Fridays.
- Diverse possibilities of personal and professional development including internal trainings, mentorship programs, access to Linkedin Learning; and more!
- Artist showcases and playbacks.
- The opportunity to hone your skill set on both recorded music and music publishing (both divisions being housed under one roof).
Are you interested? Follow the link to apply!
Salary range: $100,000 – $140,000 per annum + competitive annual bonus scheme
The pay range listed above is dependent upon factors such as work experience, qualifications and business needs. In addition to the range above, this role is eligible for a discretionary annual bonus and applicable benefits.
We are an E-Verify employer. For more information, please click on the following links.
E-Verify Participation Poster: English / Spanish
BMG will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
BMG – est. 2008 – is the world’s fourth-biggest music company, the first new global player in the music business of the streaming age, and a record label and music publisher in one. Named in 2020 one of the world’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients. BMG’s 20 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over three million songs and recordings, including many of the most renowned and successful catalogs in popular music history.
BMG’s fresh approach includes production music, films, books, artist management, merchandise, neighboring rights, and live as well as music publishing and recordings off the same service platform. BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House and the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with. www.bmg.com
Country: United States of America
City: Los Angeles
Postal Code: 90036