A New Music Company for Mexico
BMG is opening a new Latin America hub in Mexico and we’re looking to build our team. As the first new international music company of the streaming age, we do things a little differently – putting the interests of artists and songwriters at the heart of all we do.
Representing the work of music legends including Tina Turner, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, Mötley Crüe, Roger Waters, Bryan Adams and Carlos Santana as well as DJ Khaled, Juice WRLD and thousands of others, we aim to offer the most modern, efficient, fair and transparent service to artists and songwriters.
We are seeking
Senior Manager, Synch Licensing
Your primary mission is negotiating synchronization licensing quotes/terms and facilitating synch clearances with music clearance contacts, advertising agencies, music supervisors, production companies, TV networks and miscellaneous other licensee customers.
You’ll be optimizing synch opportunities to the best of your ability after obtaining the necessary writer/artist and/or BMG affiliate approvals.
In this exciting new position, you will regularly collaborate with A&R, Recorded Music, Copyright, Business & Legal Affairs, as well as your International Synch colleagues, whilst keeping internal and external contacts apprised of synch activity.
You will also be closing the synch licensing process, negotiating language issues within the license contracts to BMG’s standards and guidelines, collecting synch fee payments and executing synch licensing agreements.
- You have a love of music and keen interest in synch
- You thrive in a fast-paced setting and have the ability to (and take enjoyment in!) juggling and prioritizing a high volume of tasks
- You have a strong desire to learn, grow and expand within a dynamic and team-oriented department
- You enjoy working in an environment with varying personalities and priorities
What You’ll Be Doing
- Fielding and/or handling synchronization requests from third party licensees and/or BMG affiliates (as applicable) primarily in the categories of advertising, television & promos, films & trailers, games, new media, Internet and other audiovisual media
- Identifying BMG’s ownership control of applicable copyright/recording; interpreting internal contracts to determine synch licensing approval restrictions; discussing with approval party or BMG international synch affiliate to communicate requested usage details, rights and fees and secure approval, when applicable, prior to quoting
- Working through complications as they arise (ownership questions and split disputes with Copyright/Creative Admin, changes in terms/usage, unclear contractual language and approval restrictions with Business & Legal Affairs); liaising with internal BMG Creative Synch/Synch Marketing team, when applicable
- Determining appropriate fee quotes for synch usages based on prior licensing history, discussions with licensee client and approval/specifications from the writer and/or artist client or BMG international synch affiliate
- Issuing licenses/amendments/addendums and invoices, making sure all info is in line from quote to confirmation/license request
- Adept at handling legal comments from licensee, addressing their concerns and issues accordingly while following legal and template guidelines in a timely manner
- Obtaining fully-executed licenses to wrap up the deal, bringing the process to closure, making sure all documentation is clearly accessible to all that view the entry in BMG systems
- Managing synch income tracking and recovery
- Liaising with Business & Legal Affairs to maintain and update various synch contract templates
- Significant experience in Synch Licensing ideally within a music publisher, record label, music clearance company, production company, film/tv studio, network, music supervisor or a similar organization
- Fluent in both English and Spanish (written and verbal)
- Advanced knowledge of synch licensing and music publishing and/or recorded music and a desire to further that knowledge.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, primarily Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- A love for music and how it intersects with various media.
A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is a plus, but not essential.
What’s In It For You
- Part of a thriving and dynamic global Synch team
- Joining a growing company with noteworthy Recorded and Publishing repertoire
- The unique BMG culture, empowering and driven by strong values
- A 21st century working environment, collaborative and flexible working
- A commitment to help team members develop long-term careers at BMG with in-house training and the renowned Bertelsmann University
- Subscription to Headspace
- A fun and respectful community of people with a passion for music
BMG is a new kind of music company. Our mission is clear; to help artists and songwriters make the very most of their songs and recordings in the digital age. That’s why we offer the best creative support, provide the best access to platforms and work hard to maximize the value of each and every copyright, ensuring all our clients receive all payments promptly and accurately. We are not a technology company – though we use the best technology. We are not just a music publisher or a record label – although we offer both services.
BMG is a company with service, transparency and fairness at its heart and a commitment to being the best international music company for songwriters, artists and everyone who works with us.
Come As You Are
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all forms. Equal opportunity runs deep in our core value of fairness and we are determined to create a truly inclusive work environment, where everyone can flourish. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are.
All applicants to BMG will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.*BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalogue, including the 1992 single ‘Come As You Are’.
**Please note, we request that applications are submitted in English. Applications submitted in any other language will not be considered.**
BMG – est. 2008 – is the world’s fourth-biggest music company, the first new global player in the music business of the streaming age, and a record label and music publisher in one. Named in 2020 one of the world’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients. BMG’s 20 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over three million songs and recordings, including many of the most renowned and successful catalogs in popular music history.
BMG’s fresh approach includes production music, films, books, artist management, merchandise, neighboring rights, and live as well as music publishing and recordings off the same service platform. BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House and the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with. www.bmg.com