Come As You Are.
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all forms. Equal opportunity runs deep in our core value of fairness and we are determined to create a truly inclusive work environment, where everyone can flourish. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are.
All applicants to BMG will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalogue, including the 1992 single ‘Come As You Are’.
We are looking for a Legal & Business Affairs Senior Manager to join our LBA team in London with a 12-month Fixed-Term Contract. If you are an experienced commercial lawyer with extensive experience in negotiating and drafting a variety of complex publishing and related deals, this is your role!
YOUR MISSION AT BMG.
As the Legal & Business Affairs Senior Manager you will be responsible of negotiating and advising on various commercial agreements with a particular focus on music and related rights (i.e. song writing agreements, publishing admin agreements, sub-publishing agreements) and dealing with general queries from our internal teams.
- Supporting A&R and commercial leads in structuring deals and in drafting publishing deal proposals.
- Negotiating terms & drafting and negotiating long-form publishing and related agreements including:
- Exclusive songwriting agreements, administration agreements, various side letters & amendments, novation agreements, writer buy-out agreements, joint venture agreements, sub-publishing agreements.
- Sample agreements, theatrical license agreements and non-disclosure agreements. Assisting on any contentious issues including copyright infringement and drafting /responding to letters to address such issues.
- Assisting legal and business affairs with new areas of business as and when necessary.
- Developing and drafting new precedent agreements as and when required by BMG publishing team with the support from senior LBA managers.
- Reviewing and negotiating controlled compositions’ provisions.
- Advising the business on legal and/or compliance points when new laws and/or industry-affecting matters come into force.
- Assisting various departments with day-to-day queries.
- Where required negotiate and draft recording and related agreements such as exclusive recording agreements, exclusive catalogue license agreements, producer agreements, mixer agreements, featured artists agreements, side letters, novation agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Experience working as a music lawyer (whether in-house or private practice) in a wide variety of areas relating to the music industry with particular focus on publishing related matters.
- A qualified lawyer in England and Wales with significant experience working as a music industry lawyer.
- Experience as a commercial lawyer with extensive experience of negotiating and drafting a variety of complex publishing and related deals.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to spot and advise on legal implications whilst furthering business objectives and goals.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work towards strict deadlines.
- Ability to have a local focus but understand the bigger global strategic vision.
- Extensive contacts and strong relationships within the music industry.
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills.
- Strong interest in music and a keen interest in music business law!
- Knowledge or experience of collection society arrangements is a plus.
- Experience in dispute resolution/litigation related to music is a plus.
Now, what’s in it for you?
- 25 days annual leave, plus 3 days between Christmas & New Year and an extra day for your birthday!
- Flexible working opportunities
- 6 months full pay for all parents regardless of gender and sexual orientation
- Subsidised gym membership
- Private Health Insurance
- Competitive pension scheme
- Annual gig allowance
- Artist showcases
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Subscription to Headspace
- Give As You Earn Scheme
- Excellent development opportunities
- A fun and sociable office environment!
Founded in 2008, BMG is the first new global player in the recordings business in decades. BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients.
BMG’s 20 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over 3m songs and recordings, and thousands of artists and songwriters are attracted by its fresh approach which now includes production music, film and books as well as music publishing and recordings.
BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House and the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with.