BMG is a new kind of music company. Our mission is clear; to help artists and songwriters make the very most of their songs and recordings in the digital age.
That’s why we offer the best creative support, provide the best access to platforms and work hard to maximize the value of each and every copyright, ensuring all our clients receive all payments promptly and accurately. We are not a technology company – though we use the best technology. We are not just a music publisher or a record label – although we offer both services. BMG is a company with service, transparency and fairness at its heart and a commitment to being the best international music company for songwriters, artists and everyone who works with us.
Your Mission at BMG
The primary mission is leading a small team in the development, creation, maintenance, and delivery of business-wide, scalable data reports and dashboards. This includes compiling, analyzing, providing, and presenting royalty, financial, and other business data to a diverse audience, both internally (Finance, Investments, Legal/Business Affairs, Creative and Client Services) and externally (writers/publishers, including their representatives, Industry Groups, and Outside Legal contacts).
- You are a problem-solver who has the ability to prioritize competing requests.
- You understand and appreciate the need for confidentiality and discretion.
- You have a strong solution orientation and is client-focused.
- You have the ability to analyze vast amounts of data and present summarized reporting to a diverse audience.
- You possess the skills to develop and maintain relationships across a wide client base.
- You are able to communicate effectively with clients and internal stakeholders, manage the expectations of these parties, and are able to resolve client and stakeholder inquiries in an efficient and effective manner.
- The ideal candidate can successfully manage others and fosters collaboration across teams where needed.
What You’ll Be Doing
Royalty Data Analysis
- Develop period-end royalty data analyses and present to internal stakeholders
- Provide ad-hoc royalty data analyses to support various business functions, including options calculations, new deal agreements, existing deal extensions and income tracking
- Create dashboards using Tableau and SQL to address diverse business cases
- Serve as a key US participant in and contributor to BMG’s Global Data and Reporting community
Client and Stakeholder Inquiry Resolution:
- Provide fair and transparent answers and resolutions to a wide variety of client inquiries
- Maintain the expectations and relationships with all clients and stakeholders
- Handle and resolve inquiries from joint venture partners and internal stakeholders
- Coordinate with other departments whose contribution is needed for full resolution
- Extract and analyze royalties to assess the impact of royalties corrections
- Process adjustments to correct royalties payouts to clients and stakeholders
Joint Venture Accounting
- Prepare period-end joint venture statements for clients and joint venture stakeholders
- Track and analyze joint venture expenses and royalties
Data and Reporting Technology Education
- Identify task-specific data and reporting solutions and corresponding training needs for internal teams and users
- Develop educational curriculum and materials that address training needs
- Advanced financial analysis skills, including the ability to construct summary-level analyses from considerable amounts of data
- Intermediate to advanced skills across a variety of computer applications, including the Microsoft Office suite and royalty/accounting systems
- Strong public presentation and interpersonal communication skills when dealing with internal and external parties
- Strong reading comprehension skills and a high degree of comfort reading and interpreting contracts
- Desire to work in the music industry and to develop and maintain a deep knowledge of the evolving ways in which it functions globally
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 5 years of work experience
- Microsoft Excel (incl PivotTables, Index/Match/Vlookup, Power Query and Macros)
- Microsoft Outlook, PowerPoint, Word
- Royalty / Accounting Systems
- Tableau/Power BI
What’s In It For You
- Robust medical/dental/vision packages
- Two weeks’ vacation in year one; three weeks’ vacation in year two
- $500 fitness reimbursement
- Diverse possibilities of personal and professional development including trainings and access to Lynda.com
- Dollar for dollar match of up to 6% into 401(k) after your first year with the company
- A fun and respectful community of people with a passion for music
Here at BMG we are committed to equal employment opportunity and so all applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.