Position: Senior Coordinator, Copyright Administration
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Come As You Are.
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all forms. Equal opportunity runs deep in our core value of fairness and we are determined to create a truly inclusive work environment, where everyone can flourish. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are.
All applicants to BMG will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
*BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalogue, including the 1992 single ‘Come As You Are’.
Your Mission at BMG.
With one of the fastest growing catalogues in the music publishing space, BMG’s copyright department is responsible for being the full service administrator for a wide span of writers and artists. From deal on-boarding, through song maintenance; from works monitoring, through licensing, the Copyright Team handles every aspect of the works they represent. This is a proud team that devotes time and effort to their work, ensuring BMG’s music is handled with excitement and care every step of the way.
Your mission is primarily focused on song data maintenance including catalog upload, new song entry and updates to existing songs with an emphasis on BMG’s Nashville repertoire. In this role, which is crucial to various internal and external processes such as registration, licensing and royalty processing, you will interact with most departments in the US and internationally, but also with BMG clients, performing and mechanical rights organizations, record labels, etc. In addition, you will assist in areas of Deal Processing and AV administration on an ad-hoc basis.
- You have experience in music publishing and interest in copyright.
- You have a strong analytical aptitude and are comfortable working with large sets of data and spreadsheets.
- You have an exceptional attention for detail and the ability to track and follow through on multiple concurrent projects to completion.
- You are very collaborative with the ability to be flexible and respond positively to change and new ideas.
- You a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and effectively follow through under pressure and/or tight deadlines.
What You’ll Be Doing.
- Enter and update songs delivered from a variety of sources, with an emphasis on new deal Schedule A and expedited deliveries.
- Research and validate missing or incomplete song data, liaising with the Creative Department where necessary.
- Review CWR data on a bi-weekly basis to ensure new and updated songs were properly submitted to societies.
- Review, research and provide timely responses to rights queries and information requests, including label copy and claim confirmations.
- Coordinate with Song Entry and/or Data Services teams on requirements for song entry or catalogue ingestions.
Support the processing of BMG’s US intellectual property agreements (e.g. new publishing, master, recording and production music agreements as well as amendments, extensions and options), with an emphasis on:
- Assisting with the notification of rights to North American Performing/Mechanical rights societies, digital partners and BMG affiliate offices and sub-publishers relating to writer PRO changes and writer publishing designee updates.
- Supporting the setup of contractual information in BMG’s internal database with respect to master, recording and production music agreements.
- Reviewing, researching and providing timely responses to claim/rights queries and information requests, including, but not limited to those from: BMG US business functions, BMG writers and clients, BMG sub-publishers and affiliates, business partners, performing/mechanical rights societies and 3rd party writers and publishers.
- Reconciling existing PRO registrations with schedules and songs claimed by BMG.
- Liaising and following up with Creative and Business Affairs as necessary on incomplete information.
- Support the processing and routing of internal and external cue sheet distributions on a quarterly basis.
- Previous experience in music publishing with general understanding of copyright administration.
- High attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Adobe Acrobat.
It’s a plus if you also have a Bachelors Degree (preferably in Music Business), experience in AV copyright administration and basic contract interpretation skills.
BMG is a new kind of music company. Our mission is clear; to help artists and songwriters make the very most of their songs and recordings in the digital age. That’s why we offer the best creative support, provide the best access to platforms and work hard to maximize the value of each and every copyright, ensuring all our clients receive all payments promptly and accurately. We are not a technology company – though we use the best technology. We are not just a music publisher or a record label – although we offer both services. BMG is a company with service, transparency and fairness at its heart and a commitment to being the best international music company for songwriters, artists and everyone who works with us.
What’s In It For You.
- Robust medical/dental/vision packages
- Two weeks’ vacation in year one; three weeks’ vacation in year two
- $500 fitness reimbursement
- Diverse possibilities of personal and professional development including trainings and access to Lynda.com
- Dollar for dollar match of up to 6% into 401(k) after your first year with the company
- A fun and respectful community of people with a passion for music