Position: Director, Recorded Finance
Department: Recorded Finance
Location: Nashville, TN
Come As You Are.
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all forms. Equal opportunity runs deep in our core value of fairness and we are determined to create a truly inclusive work environment, where everyone can flourish. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are.
All applicants to BMG will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
*BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalogue, including the 1992 single ‘Come As You Are’.
Your Mission at BMG.
Your primary mission is to serve as a proactive financial business partner to creative teams and management at BMG’s country music label Broken Bow Records spanning from investment application to forecasting beyond release date. You are representing the Recorded Music Finance team in Nashville, reporting directly into VP Recorded Music Finance in New York. Your detail-oriented approach helps to keep track and monitor Broken Bow projects closely. You have the ambition to drive business performance and enable bold strategic decision-making. You are a trusted partner and cornerstone for all stakeholders and clients in Broken Bow’s next exciting growth phase.
- You have worked at a record label and have familiarity with accounting within the music business
- You have an interest in country music
- You have served as financial business partner to management
- You are comfortable working in a team and managing people
- Your time management skills allow you to meet deadlines easily
- You have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to track and follow through on multiple concurrent projects to completion
What You’ll Be Doing.
- Reporting, forecasting and budgeting at BMG’s country music label Broken Bow Records (revenue & expenses)
- Forecast projected sales and marketing budgets on a project-by-project basis within the applicable reporting timeline
- Develop and monitor project based budget allocations
- Serve as financial business partner to product managers and radio promo team by analyzing and recommending efficient use of M&P spend
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly, quarterly and year-end financial information
- Reconcile invoices to budget weekly and approve and submit to AP after curing any issues
- Review expenses monthly for accuracy (business unit coding, artist coding – balance sheet vs P&L)
- Prepare and organize monthly costs review with finance managers and royalties team for Prime Upload
- Running accounting functions during month end close
- SAP reclasses and booking instructions for recharges for monthly close (i.e. JV Accounting)
- Manage on-going Active Artist Roster, in conjunction with LBA for remaining options
- Assist in royalty client inquiries
- Ad hoc reporting as requested by Nashville based management and NY finance teams
- Support Recorded Finance team with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Work with direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business or Economics
- Previous experience in a financial role within the music industry
- Experience with reporting, forecasting and budgeting
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, to build relationships with key stakeholders
- Ability to read P&L and be able to pick out key variances
- Understanding of royalties
- Ability to coach and work with more junior members of the team
- Advanced Excel skills
Nice to Have’s
- SAP FI experience
- Experience in multi-national corporate structure
BMG is a new kind of music company. Our mission is clear; to help artists and songwriters make the very most of their songs and recordings in the digital age. That’s why we offer the best creative support, provide the best access to platforms and work hard to maximize the value of each and every copyright, ensuring all our clients receive all payments promptly and accurately. We are not a technology company – though we use the best technology. We are not just a music publisher or a record label – although we offer both services. BMG is a company with service, transparency and fairness at its heart and a commitment to being the best international music company for songwriters, artists and everyone who works with us.
What’s In It For You.
- Robust medical/dental/vision packages
- Flexible time off
- $500 fitness reimbursement
- Diverse possibilities of personal and professional development including trainings and access to Lynda.com
- Dollar for dollar match of up to 6% into 401(k) after your first year with the company
- A fun and respectful community of people with a passion for music
Are you interested? Follow the link to apply!
BMG – est. 2008 – is the world’s fourth-biggest music company, the first new global player in the music business of the streaming age, and a record label and music publisher in one. Named in 2020 one of the world’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients. BMG’s 20 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over three million songs and recordings, including many of the most renowned and successful catalogs in popular music history.
BMG’s fresh approach includes production music, films, books, artist management, merchandise, neighboring rights, and live as well as music publishing and recordings off the same service platform. BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House and the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with. www.bmg.com