BMG is a new kind of music company. Our mission is clear; to help artists and songwriters make the very most of their songs and recordings in the digital age.
That’s why we offer the best creative support, provide the best access to platforms and work hard to maximize the value of each and every copyright, ensuring all our clients receive all payments promptly and accurately.
We are not a technology company – though we use the best technology. We are not just a music publisher or a record label – although we offer both services.
BMG is a company with service, transparency and fairness at its heart and a commitment to being the best international music company for songwriters, artists and everyone who works with us.
Your Mission at BMG
Your mission is to provide our artists and clients with proper accounting and the highest level of customer service. You will serve as a key contact internally for our labels’ A&R, Finance, and Royalty Services teams for any royalty related inquires or functions. Your approach to the task is creating solutions and solving problems.
- You have a passion for music publishing, record labels and rights administration.
- You have a strong analytical aptitude and are comfortable working with financial data, calculations, spreadsheets.
- You are highly motivated and work well in a team environment.
- You have an exceptional attention for detail and the ability to track and follow through on multiple concurrent projects to completion.
- You a self-starter with the ability to prioritize and effectively follow through under pressure and/or tight deadlines
What You’ll Be Doing
- Oversight of Mechanical Royalties & Recorded Receivables Teams
- Manage and process royalty adjustments
- Develop royalty reports and dashboards
- Improve processes with accuracy and speed by harnessing the power of large datasets.
- Support and or lead other data initiatives in and around the area of Recorded Administration.
- Direct client involvement on high priority requests
- Participate in software/application development involving the mechanical or artist royalties
- Establish and refine core team core workflows.
- Collaborate to establish cross organizational processes and procedures.
- Perform any other duties and tasks related to the department’s role and responsibilities that might be assigned by the team’s management from time to time Qualifications
Artist Contract Administration
- Setting up contract and royalty rate models per contractual royalty provisions.
- Reviewing artist/third party contracts and create royalty rate summaries.
- Preparing, reviewing and delivering client statements and payments on a quarterly and semi-annual basis
- Review Royalty statements and data to ensure quality control and analyze variances.
- Providing support to the Copyright Royalties team to payout Mechanicals
- Clear product and rate calculation errors.
- Create and update royaltors/vendors in both royalty and AP systems.
- Research and analyze rate discrepancies.
- Update royalty system with correct/updated rate information.
- Quantify royalty variance and input adjustment(s) into system.
- Researching and responding to client related inquiries.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Music Business, Accounting or Finance
- 5 plus years royalty experience in a music company
- Experience overseeing team members, setting goals, and managing performance
- Background reading and interpreting contracts, especially related to royalty provisions
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience with Microsoft Excel is required, demonstrating understanding with VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables, and various other formulas and functions. Tableau a plus!
- Strong communication and presentation skills both verbally and written
- Record Maestro, SAP, Python & SQL (nice to have!)
What’s In It For You
- Robust medical/dental/vision packages
- Two weeks’ vacation in year one; three weeks’ vacation in year two
- $500 fitness reimbursement
- Diverse possibilities of personal and professional development including trainings and access to Lynda.com
- Dollar for dollar match of up to 6% into 401(k) after your first year with the company
- A fun and respectful community of people with a passion for music
Here at BMG we are committed to equal employment opportunity and so all applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, color, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
BMG is the new model music company founded by Bertelsmann in 2008 as a direct response to the challenges of music’s digital revolution. Key to its innovative approach is the fact it represents the traditionally separate music publishing and recording rights off the same state-of-the-art platform internationally. BMG is already the world’s fourth biggest music publisher and the first new global player in the recordings business in decades. BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients. BMG’s 14 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over 2,5m songs and recordings, including the catalogues of Chrysalis, Bug, Virgin, Mute, Sanctuary, Primary Wave and Talpa Music, as well as literally thousands of artists and songwriters attracted by its fresh approach. BMG is owned by international media company Bertelsmann, which also includes the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House, the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr, the service provider Arvato, the Bertelsmann Printing Group, the Bertelsmann Education Group, and Bertelsmann Investments, an international network of funds. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with.
International offices are located in Berlin (HQ), Los Angeles, New York City, Nashville, Paris, Hilversum, London, Madrid, Milan, Stockholm, Sydney, Beijing, Sao Paulo