Come As You Are.
As the great Kurt Cobain* once said, “Come as you are.” BMG is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and we celebrate diversity in all forms. Equal opportunity runs deep in our core value of fairness and we are determined to create a truly inclusive work environment, where everyone can flourish. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are.
All applicants to BMG will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
BMG is the proud representative of Kurt Cobain’s publishing catalogue, including the 1992 single ‘Come As You Are’.
We are looking for Data Analyst to join our Royalties, Income Tracking & Audit team in our London office!
The royalty, Income Tracking and Audit team at BMG is a lynchpin of BMGs mission to offer fair and transparent service to our portfolio of artists. The music industry in 2022 is underpinned by an enormous data crunching operation. Every time one of our artists’ tracks is streamed or sold we receive a line of income data which is then processed through our royalty system to calculate which artists should receive the income we have collected on their behalf. With the explosion in popularity of streaming over the last decade the way the industry operates has fundamentally changed and we are now accounting billions of lines of income to our artists. As a result, we increasingly need to supplement our excellent administrative teams with tech and data savvy colleagues to manage and make sense of the huge volume of inbound data, keeping BMG at the vanguard of the industry.
YOUR MISSION AT BMG.
You will be responsible for contributing to BMG’s mission by supporting the Income Tracking, Royalties, Client Services and Audit teams with data and reporting capabilities that enable the team to service our artists quickly and effectively by surfacing the insights and stories in our big data sets.
Working with our big data and business insight platforms, you will interrogate and aggregate our multi-billion record data sets, condensing the data into digestible insights and making these insights available to the teams as reports and self-service dashboards.
- Deliver reporting and self-service dashboards to key stakeholders in the Income Tracking, Royalties, Client Services and Audit teams.
- Work with a solution focused attitudes to business challenges, using your technical knowledge to automate and streamline processes involving data transfer, manipulation, enrichment and report delivery.
- Actively review our datasets to suggest improvements and help uphold the integrity of the data.
- Become a key enabler to driving forward data related activities at BMG, to ensure that we are continually improving and iterating our processes to remain effective and efficient as the volume of data coming into the business grows.
- Strong SQL skills, accompanied with an understanding of database querying best practices and optimisation.
- Experience delivering compelling reporting/insights via BI platforms (Looker/Tableau/Power BI etc).
- Academic qualification in a related field or relevant professional experience.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- A love of music, with a deep passion for ensuring that Artists are remunerated fairly and accurately!
It’s a plus if you also have…
- Basic understanding of a computer programming language such as Python or C++.
- Previous experience of working in a similar role in the music industry.
- Previous experience of using the Google Cloud Platform (Key components for this role – BigQuery, Looker, Cloud Workflows)
- Understanding of code deployment/version control via GIT.
- Understanding of how statistical techniques and methodologies can be applied to data to surface insights.
Now, what’s in it for you?
- 25 days annual leave, plus 3 days between Christmas & New Year and an extra day for your birthday!
- Flexible working opportunities
- 6 months full pay for all parents regardless of gender and sexual orientation
- Subsidised gym membership
- Private Health Insurance
- Competitive pension scheme
- Annual gig allowance
- Artist showcases
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme
- Subscription to Headspace
- Give As You Earn Scheme
- Excellent development opportunities
- A fun and sociable office environment!
Founded in 2008, BMG is the first new global player in the recordings business in decades. BMG’s pitch is unique – a relentless focus on fairness and transparency and service to its artist and songwriter clients.
BMG’s 20 offices across 12 core music markets now represent over 3m songs and recordings, and thousands of artists and songwriters are attracted by its fresh approach which now includes production music, film and books as well as music publishing and recordings.
BMG is owned by international media, services and education company Bertelsmann, whose other content businesses include the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House and the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr. With its multi-platform perspective, integrated technology platform and commitment to help artists maximize their income, BMG aims to be the best company in music to do business with.