Berklee seeks a Director of Industry and Employer Engagement who will provide the relationships, knowledge, experience, and skills necessary to further develop and align with innovative best practices for career and professional development. The Director of Industry and Employer Engagement will join a talented team of industry professionals who are implementing innovative and comprehensive approaches to career services that support and enhance the Berklee student experience, satisfaction, and success outcomes. In so doing, the Director will contribute to the advancement of Berklee’s vision to nurture the growth of the world’s most inspired artists so they may fully realize their artistic, creative, and career potential.
The Career Center’s mission is to advance student success by providing a robust Berklee network, coordinated career resources, and enriching practice based and experiential opportunities that help students develop an entrepreneurial mindset as they define, develop and realize their artistic, creative, and career potential with greater intention and success.
Under the direction and guidance of the Associate Vice President, Career and Digital Strategy, the Director of Industry and Employer Engagement will develop and lead the implementation of a comprehensive strategic plan that drives engagement with industry, including employers, recruiters and alumni in coordination with Academic Affairs, External industry Affairs, the International Career Center (ICC) and Alumni Affairs.
The Director of Industry and Employer Engagement will work with a community of talented professionals to advance the mission of the college, conservatory, and career center, inspiring professional development, engendering a spirit of career-mindedness and building engagement within the music, entertainment, technology and other industries, as well as within the Berklee community.
Successful candidates will have music and entertainment industry experience and relationships, possess excellent communication and organizational skills, remain on the cutting edge of advancements in the field, and be willing to collaborate extensively with a diverse community of students, faculty and staff.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5 – 7 years of experience working in partnership and/or business development in music, entertainment or related industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, higher education administration, and/or related industries and preferred Master’s degree in music, entertainment or higher education.
- Proven track record in assessing the skill sets and needs of a community and aligning strategic partnerships to serve and support those requirements.
- Passion for music and the arts.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In collaboration with the AVP and other stakeholders on campus, develop and lead the implementation of an innovative strategic plan in support of industry and employer recruitment to drive engagement at Berklee and that promotes and differentiates our students’ unique skill sets and accomplishments.
- Lead a team that curates and cultivates relationships with employers from various industry sectors, establishing internship and experiential learning programs, engaging employers in the campus community and recruiting events, and connecting them with our students for full-time employment and internship opportunities.
- Develop systems and processes that capture and manage employer contacts, data points and action items from all departments involved in developing opportunities for Berklee students and alumni.
- Oversee the team that manages, administers and markets jobs, gigs, internships and auditions to the Berklee community through the career service management platform, Berklee Career Manager.
- Lead the implementation of the Career Center’s signature events that include the Global Job and Internship Expo, Career Jam, Network Before You Move and other initiatives in collaboration with Academic and Alumni Affairs.
- Lead the industry relations team by developing and nurturing relationships with musical directors, casting directors, agents and managers to create a pipeline of talent for auditions, tours, shows and for representation, in addition to a portfolio of employers in the performance, songwriting, and production industries.Develop new and update current industry resources so they are up to date and relevant.
- Collaborate with External Affairs to lead the management of the talent relations ambassadors, curating and securing performance opportunities for our students off campus.
- Develop career-related marketing materials and coordinate the creation and distribution of promotional materials for events and activities in consultation with External Affairs and colleagues in the Career Center.
- Maintain an advising schedule by meeting 1:1 with students and alumni on research and job/internship prep strategies, networking tactics, resume and interview preparation and salary negotiation.
- In collaboration with the AVP, and other Directors, prepare the CSS annual report and provide support to the Institutional Assessment team as they design a methodology for KPI’s relating to student and alumni outcomes.
- Lead the development and implementation of an advocacy plan that will support a balanced portfolio of paid/unpaid internships in the music and entertainment industry.
- Lead the development of a process for assessing employer hiring outcomes and satisfaction.
- Represent Berklee at various industry conferences and events, building and expanding the institutional profile globally.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent communication, collaboration and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to foster and maintain effective relationships with employers and alumni.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to foster and maintain effective relationships and communication with students, faculty and staff.
- Background using data and analytics to drive business development and outcomes.
- High level of cultural competence, values, ethics, and principles that align with the Berklee community, in which every voice is valued and respected and where a diverse, inclusive, work and learning environment is essential.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity at Berklee:
We support an inclusive workplace where everyone excels based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance. Berklee affirms that inequality is detrimental to our faculty, staff, students, and the communities we serve. Our goal is to make lasting change through our actions. Berklee is committed to providing fair and equitable consideration of all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, place of birth, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or status as a member of the armed forces or veteran of the armed forces, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of this commitment, Berklee will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the Human Resources Team at [email protected] or call 617-747-2375.
Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of our institution, community, and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
*Currently enrolled Berklee students are not permitted to apply for staff or faculty positions.*