BerkleeNYC seeks an experienced leader and creative professional to serve as the Associate Director of Studio Operations for Power Station at BerkleeNYC
Berklee operates the largest professional recording studio in New York City, servicing clients in the music, film, theatre and television industries. The multi-room facility offers audio and video recording at the highest professional levels. The space also offers services for events and performances.
The facility contains 5 recording studios as well as a black box theatre, video control room, classrooms, labs and ensemble spaces.
In addition to the commercial use, Power Station is home to Berklee’s educational programs in New York City, currently a Master of Arts in Creative and Media Technology with three specializations: Songwriting and Production, Live Experience Design, and Writing and Design for Musical Theater.
Reporting directly to the Director of Operations, the Associate Director of Studio Operations will handle all aspects of managing and booking the facility; some large-format, multi-room facilities refer to this position as the “Studio Manager.” This individual will be responsible for keeping the studios booked, will be the main interface with clients, will develop budgets and fiscal projections, and will also work closely with the educational leadership to ensure the facility meets the evolving needs of the academic programs as they grow.
The Associate Director of Studio Operations will generate and develop leads for new clients, handle booking inquiries, quoting the cost for projects, advancing the need of each session and billing clients. This individual will assess each session’s needs in terms of staffing and technical requirements, then assign and delegate the necessary resources to successfully execute them.
The Associate Director of Studio Operations will supervise the studio staff including Client Services Associates, Studio Operations Associates as well as Studio Maintenance Associates, handling scheduling and management, and assigning tasks as needed for both the commercial and academic needs of the facility.
The Associate Director of Studio Operations will look for new opportunities for both new business and partnerships to grow the client base of Power Station at BerkleeNYC, keeping it a sustainable business that upholds the absolute state of the art in recording, video capture, and academic programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Expand opportunities for revenue generation to grow the professional business and community of Power Station at BerkleeNYC
- Interface with, and provide world-class service to commercial studio clients at every step of the process, from initial inquiry through to billing.
- Allocate resources both in staffing and facilitates to successfully execute sessions at the highest level
- Lead, supervise and schedule studio staff, including general facility staffing, session and event staffing, and educational support.
- Interface with the academic leadership team to support educational needs of the facility.
- Manage the calendar of the studios and facilities for all commercial bookings and educational events as needed.
- Oversee invoicing, accounting and bill collection for the commercial bookings of the studios.
- Create annual and multi-year budgets and proformas for the studio business
- Continuously improve team workflow process and organization.
Experience, Education and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred in Business Management, Music Production, Music Business, or a related filed
- 5 years of administrative experience and demonstrated effective leadership and management skills.
- 5 years of experience in a commercial recording facility, or similar professional environment.
- Familiarity with professional session workflow and needs.
- A working knowledge of the technical operations of a large format recording studio.
- Excellent communication, listening, interpersonal, project management and organizational skills.
- Budget creation and financial data interpretation skills.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills, using good judgment and maintaining professionalism.
- Experience with training and managing staff in a professional environment
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, fairness, and equal opportunity.
- Culturally sensitive to a wide variety of backgrounds and communication styles.
Electronic applications only. Please submit the following application materials in PDF or Word format. All materials can be uploaded to the Resume/Cover letter application section.
- A letter of application
- A current resume or CV
- Three professional references & their contact information.
- Links to websites or online resources to help us better get to know you
- You may be asked to submit additional materials after your application has been reviewed by the search committee.
Deadline: Review of application materials will start on Tuesday, June 1st, and will continue until the position is filled.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity at Berklee:
We support an inclusive workplace where everyone excels based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance. Berklee affirms that inequality is detrimental to our faculty, staff, students, and the communities we serve. Our goal is to make lasting change through our actions. Berklee is committed to providing fair and equitable consideration of all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, place of birth, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or status as a member of the armed forces or veteran of the armed forces, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of this commitment, Berklee will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the Human Resources Team at [email protected] or call 617-747-2375.
Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of our institution, community, and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
*Currently enrolled Berklee students are not permitted to apply for staff or faculty positions.*