Music Publicist (press & radio)
Part-Time (3-5 days a week – some flexibility)
Competitive and depending on experience
(+ commission structure for new business)
Application closing date:
Friday 10th December
Interview date (London, in person)
Friday 17th December
First and foremost, we are music fans. Gig-going, record buying, magazine reading fanatics for all things musical. We have a proper passion for music. For music that thrives on the periphery of the mainstream made by artists from diverse backgrounds and origins from global to electronic, from jazz and Latin to soul, funk and beyond.
Listen to a Spotify playlist from our 2021 roster
See our recent artist and project archive
We are currently enjoying a busy period and we are looking for a passionate individual to join our team in 2022, someone who has either direct previous experience as PR or plugger or has worked closely with PR teams for at least 3 years.
We are looking for somebody who is based in the UK or regularly travels to the UK with an understanding of the media environment there, and beyond. Fluent written and spoken English is a must.
We take particular pride in really getting to know the artists we work with and understanding and expressing their craft within a story structure that puts the artist, the human experience, at the forefront, and in doing so, creating fascinating (and newsworthy) narratives. That’s something built-in to what we do, not a clever add on. Getting up close and personal is a philosophy at the heart of our work.
We have recently worked with labels like Bongo Joe, Soundway, Inernational Anthem, Strut, Night Dreamer, and Wonderwheel and artists like Seu Jorge, Meridian Brothers, Jeff Parker, Asian Dub Foundation, Alfa Mist, Seun Kuti, Salif Keita, Coco Maria and many more
Some things about you…
- Knowledge and passion for global music from a diverse range of genres – listen to Spotify playlist for example
- 3 years of experience of music publicity campaigning and/or within a PR environement and an understanding the dynamics and specifics of the music media and cultural media markets
- Have an independent and entrepreneurial spirit and flexible way of working, remotely, within a team structure
- Somebody who enjoys putting pen to paper and writing in varying different styles to match different copywriting needs – fluent written English is essential
- A decent book of contacts
- Can use mailchimp or similar software
- Have leadership skills and confidence to manage label and client relationships
- An ability to multi-task and adapt to sudden changes
- Inquisitive about process and willing to question traditional ideas and methods
- Listens to a range of radio shows with knowledge of the radio industry
The position // tasks and requirements
- Managing and delivering PR projects (new album campaigns) creating specific press and radio strategies, whilst engaging with media and internal and external teams to ensure the best media outcome for each project
- Develop engaging narratives to help achieve high level support and coverage across media – from the BBC to NPR and beyond
- Lead on copy writing, writing press releases and sub contracting writers
- Develop relationships with clients, labels, journalists, radio producers and artist managers
- Interview artists and liaise with them when necessary
- With director, build new client leads and if successful, commissioned for new business
- Regularly create and write proposals and reports
- Work collaboratively with our international team, closely following a series of schedules
- Regular online meetings with occasional face to face meetings in London, attending concerts and radio sessions
- General support to the director of the company
The position is a freelance role so you are expected to manage your own taxes.
If you are interested in applying for the position, please send a CV and a covering letter to [email protected] explaining your suitability for the role.
If you are selected, you’ll be asked to provide some examples of recent written work before the shortlist for interview.