An exciting opportunity has arisen for a paralegal to join our Business Affairs department based in London, working across AWAL and Neighbouring Rights (both newly Sony-acquired businesses). This is a fixed term 12 month opportunity but may evolve into a permanent role depending on business needs at that time.
This role will primarily be focussed on providing the Business Affairs team with administrative support across contracts and operational workflow, but may also involve some basic pro-forma drafting.
What you’ll do:
- Supporting the Business Affairs team with contract execution, deal summaries and deal ingestion for “hand over” to other internal teams at AWAL and Neighbouring Rights (and associated filing)
- Closing out matters on deal tracking systems (e.g. Salesforce)
- Helping with the review of certain ancillary deal documentation and “owning” aspects of related Business Affairs functions (e.g. Letters of Direction regarding third party royalty participants, checking supporting documentation sent by clients for Neighbouring Rights purposes are complete and valid against internal checklists, etc)
- Helping with the drafting of certain “pro-forma” contracts and ensuring their execution and implementation in our systems (e.g. licensing, initial NDA drafts, basic term sheets/novations, etc)
- Document comparison reviews/proofing
- Aiding the team with administrative integration into The Orchard/Sony’s systems as required
- Working with the Business Affairs lawyers as they improve efficiency and streamline processes as far as the department is concerned with other internal teams
- Supporting AWAL lawyers with certain AWAL “DIY” platform matters that may come up from time to time as appropriate
- Supporting the Business Affairs team with option diary maintenance and deal termination processes
- Helping with general Business Affairs information relay tasks (such as quick deal term “look ups”, legal and commercial research, etc)
- Assisting the Business Affairs team with general administration and diary management (such as regular meeting scheduling, training sessions, legal research database, archiving and archived document retrieval, etc)
Who you are:
- Preferred candidates will have paralegal or solid legal secretarial experience. Provided there is a genuine interest in how the music business sector works, industry exposure isn’t a necessity but would be considered favourably
- Applications from post-LPC (or equivalent) law graduates will also be considered (though please note that this is not a training contract (or equivalent) role)
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written), organisational and prioritisation proficiencies along with an attention-to-detail skillset are essential
- Candidates must be team-players and be able to demonstrate collegiate attributes despite oftentimes pressurized deadlines
- Having an efficiency-finding mindset would be useful
- A genuine desire to learn and get involved as the AWAL and Neighbouring Rights businesses are fully integrated within the Sony ecosystem
As an active part of a culturally and socially diverse society, Sony Music’s aim is that our workforce is diverse and inclusive. Sony Music is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
We employ, retain, promote and otherwise treat all employees and job applicants according to their merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We apply this policy without regard to any individual’s sex, race, religion, origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition or disability.