Head of Marketing – AWAL (London)
AWAL’s mission is to partner with independent artists to tell stories that shape culture.
AWAL has revolutionized the recording business by putting the creator at the centre of everything, and transforming the way artists release music. Whether an artist is looking for the best digital distribution or a comprehensive global campaign, AWAL has become the partner of choice for innovative artists at all stages of their careers. This has created a high-quality path for artists to achieve multi-territory success while maintaining ownership of their masters.
We are looking for a Head of Marketing to co-lead the UK artist marketing team. Alongside running your own select roster, the role involves managing a team of marketeers overseeing the set up, implementation and delivery of industry leading UK marketing campaigns. The position sits within the UK senior management team, inputting on company strategies and initiatives.
You will work closely and collaboratively with the co-Head of Marketing to inspire, motivate and develop the UK marketing team and drive innovative strategies to drive your department forward.
This position will allow you to work with a diverse roster of artists and a marketing team with a unique global perspective. AWAL’s marketing department channels a modern, audience led approach to campaigns within a creative and entrepreneurial environment.
AWAL’s success story continues to grow, building culturally significant and creatively important artists, alongside driving significant streaming consumption, including 15 artists who have now generated over 1 billion+ streams across their career with AWAL. The roster currently includes Little Simz, Jungle, Nick Cave, The Wombats, Jvke, Joesef, Tom Misch, Bruno Major, Disclosure & Gerry Cinnamon.
WHAT DOES A HEAD OF MARKETING AT AWAL DO?
- Manage a team of marketers of varying experience levels.
- Work closely with the co-Head of Marketing to set the tone, strategy, direction and goals for the UK marketing team.
- Drive the team to deliver industry leading global marketing campaigns
- Develop and motivate team members, setting achievable but aspirational goals for campaigns.
- Sit within the UK Senior Management team, inputting on company strategies and initiatives.
- Build strong relationships and collaborate closely with other head of department across the organisation to ensure consistency of AWAL’s global vision and approach.
- Conceive and implement industry leading marketing campaigns and strategies for a range of AWAL artists on your own select roster.
- Communicate with global marketing teams to ensure campaigns are truly global in approach and strategy.
- Work closely with our Audience Development team to identify audiences, grow fanbases, maximise engagement and deliver commercial results.
- Work with our Global Commercial Partnerships team to develop market-leading streaming and playlist strategies.
- Commission market-leading creative content.
- Detailed management of marketing budgets.
- Set and achieve targets across sales, streaming, audience growth, cultural impact and revenue.
- Analyse performance of releases using AWAL’s market leading analytics tools.
- Source and manage UK promo teams and other external teams.
WHAT EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- 8+ years experience within a record label or music services company.
- People management experience.
- Proven track record of developing and breaking new artists.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of current music marketing campaigns and trends.
- Experience working with artists and managers.
- A strong network of contacts through the industry including creatives, video directors, third party promo teams and agencies.
WHAT SKILLS ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Strong leadership and people management skills with the ability to set and prioritise goals.
- An artist-first approach to marketing, in line with AWAL’s core values.
- Ability to listen, learn and adapt to an ever-changing landscape as modern music marketing continues to evolve.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, with a creative, innovative and progressive attitude.
- Analytical mind with the ability to read data to inform decisions, set goals and identify trends.
- Prioritise and adapt to work across multiple projects of different sizes and development.
- Strong organisational and project management skills.
- Work collaboratively with direct reports, peers and managers.
As an active part of a culturally and socially diverse society, Sony Music’s aim is that our workforce is diverse and inclusive. Sony Music is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
We employ, retain, promote and otherwise treat all employees and job applicants according to their merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We apply this policy without regard to any individual’s sex, race, religion, origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition or disability.
Please note that applicants must be at least 18 years of age.