DIRECTOR, BUSINESS AFFAIRS AWAL – (FIXED TERM CONTRACT – 12 MONTHS MATERNITY COVER)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced legal professional to join AWAL’s UK Business Affairs team. This is a maternity cover role and will be on a fixed term contract basis for 12 months.
The role will involve hands-on contact with every aspect of AWAL’s highly progressive and “alternative label model” business as it pertains to the Business Affairs team, from negotiating and advising on external facing deals and arrangements with clients and partners to supporting internal executive, front line and operational teams.
As Sony has recently purchased AWAL, the role will also encompass transitional and integration projects, especially in the first half of the fixed term.
- Working closely with the A&R, financial analysis and executive teams to advise and strategize on, negotiate, draft and execute a range of artist and label client agreements and side letters across all AWAL multi-faceted service tiers for all territories ex. North America
- Collaborating with creative, marketing and promotional teams to negotiate, draft, execute and advise on the legal/commercial ramifications of a wide array of partner agreements – including audience growth arrangements, data collection activations, marketing campaign initiatives, competitions, territorial physical and/or digital product partnerships, consultancy agreements, NDAs, NFT/web3 projects, events and branding/sponsorship opportunities
- Working with internal AWAL teams and Sony centralised teams on licensing projects and opportunities – including soundtracks, territory licensing, compilations, digital activations, samples and branding
- Providing Business Affairs support to operational and accounting teams and helping define efficient workflow processes within AWAL and Sony as required
- Advising on and supporting AWAL teams on general or specific legal and commercial matters including deal terms, IP/copyright issues, GDPR/data use, dispute resolution, brand and business protection, best legal practice and general Business Affairs enquiries
- Advising the Community Support team and providing resolution execution when legal matters and disputes are escalated to
- Business Affairs in connection with AWAL’s “DIY” digital distribution platform
- Acting, with other members of the Business Affairs team, as internal “policy guardians” to ensure consistency and business strategy are achieved
- Co-management of paralegal support
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- +5 years PQE with relevant in-house experience from a Major record label. Candidates with experiences at one of the large independent record labels and/or a top music/entertainment private practice law firm are welcome to apply also
- Highly-developed negotiation and drafting experience
- Exceptional communication skills (both verbal and written), with the ability to disseminate complicated legal and contractual principles to non-legal colleagues and external partners in a coherent and precise manner
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding organisational skills and ability to prioritise workload in a role that at times can be pressurised or working to tight deadlines
- Confidence and pro-active self-drive are critical, as are a team-player and collaborative mindset
- Equal Opportunities
As an active part of a culturally and socially diverse society, Sony Music’s aim is that our workforce is diverse and inclusive. Sony Music is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
We employ, retain, promote and otherwise treat all employees and job applicants according to their merit, qualifications, competence and talent. We apply this policy without regard to any individual’s sex, race, religion, origin, age, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition or disability.
Please note that applicants must be at least 18 years of age.