The Manager, Business Affairs will report to the Head of Business Affairs. This role is an exciting and dynamic position responsible for collaborating with in-house marketing, production and project management teams, as well as outside agencies and third party payroll and signatory companies.
This individual will also be responsible to prepare and help manage talent estimates for both union and non-union productions, to manage and track talent session payments, holding fees, residuals, and all applicable pension and welfare contributions for union talent in compliance with union guidelines and local labor laws. Review talent invoices and reconcile with purchase orders. BA is a resource and consult for practical shooting, obtaining third party clearances for use of IP in marketing and advertising content.
This content is used in global marketing communications for Beats by Dr. Dre properties, Apple Music, iTunes, digital, retail, direct marketing, events, broadcast and online advertising, social media and channel/retail partners. This person will enjoy working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with creative individuals, have confidence in their skill set and ability to help move the business forward. They will be tapped into current music, sport, film, etc. and enjoy being part of a workplace that is moving at the speed of culture.
- Must have working knowledge of copyright, trademark and licensing in the areas of advertising and marketing with particular emphasis on digital content/technology initiatives.
- Experience with the licensing of fonts, stills and stock photo and video footage
- Up-to-date licensing expertise in wide variety of media
- Working understanding of technology and advertising law and developments as they pertain to IP issues in advertising and marketing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to deal with rapid changes in a fast-paced, deadline driven and creative environment
- Strong negotiation and drafting skills
- Understanding of industry standards and related agreements around distribution of traditional media
- Current awareness in all areas of culture (sports, music, technology, fashion, etc.)
- Working with a diverse set of entertainment and media industry partners relevant to beats and Apple marketing
This dynamic individual will have at least 5-10 years of prior experience working in a Business Affairs role at an advertising agency or brand (experience in both, a plus), or a union with a strong and confident working knowledge of the SAG-AFTRA commercial contract, and all AICP and AICE industry guidelines.
This individual will be capable and confident in managing all SAG-AFTRA issues and the hiring of talent in the United States and outside the United States, including all relevant paperwork that accompanies a production (union or non-union), and accompanying payments to talent.
This individual should be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and be capable of organizing a wide breadth of people and projects.
The Manager should be able to provide intelligent shooting guidelines, prepare talent estimates for budgeting purposes and have a working knowledge of California State Labor Laws that pertain to talent, payments, minors etc. This individual will also have experience in negotiating media rights, talent agreements for extras/OCPs and licensing third party IP for advertising and marketing usage.
This role requires someone who is self-motivated, extremely detail oriented and is a creative and proactive problem solver. This individual also has exceptional organizational and time management skills.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent. Advanced degree such as JD, is useful but not required.