The people here at Apple don’t just create products — they create the kind of wonder that’s revolutionized entire industries.
It’s the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it.
Apple is seeking a senior expert in rights in musical compositions to build and lead a team to manage the commercial relationships relating to rights in musical compositions. This is a key role to support the rapid expansion and growth of Apple Music, iTunes, and all use of musical compositions across the Apple ecosystem. This position is in the new Global Music Publishing group and is based in Los Angeles.
Are you a self-starter who is dedicated and demonstrates creative and critical thinking abilities? Do you possess a passion for music, and the craft of songwriting while also having a superior commercial mind? We’re growing and urge you to apply. We believe the role would place you in a highly-energized environment with some of the most talented creative individuals in the industry where you would be inspired to share your years of experience along with providing extraordinary support for the team.
- A minimum of 10 years experience working in senior commercial and/or licensing roles within the music industry, ideally within music publishers, collecting societies and/or digital music services
- We believe an extraordinary understanding of and passion for the global music publishing licensing landscape will be critical to your success
- You have an intimate understanding of digital music and the content distribution industry
- You possess excellent business development, negotiation, and partnership management skills
- You have a consistent record of working collaboratively within international, cross-functional teams and a high-growth environment
- You are willing to travel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to build and deliver impactful presentations at all levels of the organization
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- An ability to see the big picture and handle a high level of ambiguity
- Confidence in calling out issues and presenting to senior management on project status and schedules
- Honed analytical skills, with an ability to parse through extensive data to extract the key elements
- The ability to build and deliver persuasive arguments in favour of complex concepts.
- You work well within a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment with proven experience working on multi-faceted, international, large-scale, time-critical projects.
In this role, you will build and manage a team that will be responsible for business negotiations with music publishers and collecting societies around the world, building and maintaining relationships with their commercial and business affairs teams to enable the use of musical compositions within Apple as needed. You will work in partnership with the Legal team and the Operations branch of the Music Publishing team on negotiating complex licenses with publishing rights holders to support expansion to new markets, product features, pricing, and commercial programs designed to accelerate the growth of Apple Music. You will also collaborate closely with other elements of the Music Publishing team, as well as other facets of the Apple business, such as the Business Development team to facilitate and build business models for the use of musical compositions throughout the Apple business. A great mind for numbers will stand you in good stead for this role.