Synch and A&R Manager of Music Publishing Start Up, Manchester, UK (working location flexible)
Have you got a few years of music publishing or music business experience, know your way around but frustrated by the lack of freedom or vision? Or just nowhere to progress to? Here’s a chance to build a brand, new music publishing company alongside its founders. This role will give you the opportunity to flex your creative muscles, build on existing and create new relationships and turn this well-funded start-up into the newest, best publishing player in town.
Based in Manchester our as yet unnamed new company aims to be a major player based in a major music city but with an international reach – offering an extraordinary service appropriate for the international success and reputation of its writers, producers and artists – a handpicked roster that we find ourselves and through our incredible partnerships.
You will be in charge of the day-to-day operation of the business, working under an MD. This is a client facing role too – the clients being both our writers and the contacts you should have in TV, film, ad, game and trailer production companies – so you need to be a people person.
Your primary responsibilities will be around maintaining existing and building new contacts in all areas connected to providing an excellent service to our writers alongside working with the MD to develop and achieve business development goals.
You will report to the MD and work alongside the A&R team and global sub-publishers.
- Liaising with writers, managers and sub-publishers re: new work – communicate with labels, managers, artists to get advance music, instrumentals etc
- Working with music supervisors and other music buyers
- Actively pitch music for synch licensing opportunities to secure licences and generate income
- Create great working relationships with the labels, managers, writers and promoters
- Research and procure new business opportunities
- Plan and execute marketing campaigns
- Get involved in wider strategic business planning alongside MD and A&R team.
- Regular travel to London and attendance at events in the UK and beyond to further these aims.
- Music fan with broad taste.
- Excellent contacts across synch licensing and the wider music industry including live promoters etc. in the UK
- Ideally knowledge of wider music publishing business both in the UK and globally including different income streams, registration and collection.
- Regular gig-goer and avid music fan with mainstream and non-mainstream taste
- Experience of working at a senior level alongside business collaborators – managers, artists, record labels, sub-publishers.
- Knows how music and visuals work together.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Attention to detail.
- Able to work under your own steam.
- Good negotiation skills and experience of synch licensing contracts and licensing process.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise effectively and to deadline whist maintaining standards and accountability.
- Curious and ambitious.
- Team player.
What we can offer
- The chance to build a brand, new music publishing company alongside its founders and contribute to its direction in a meaningful way.
- A competitive starting salary based on experience with room for that to grow with the responsibility of the role.
- The role would eventually be based in Manchester but we would consider candidates based elsewhere who would commit to regular travel to the office.
- Please send CV and brief cover letter to email@example.com by Monday 17th April 2023.
- Your cover letter should
- Tell us why we should give you an interview and
- List your 3 favourite soundtracks (film or TV) and why you love them and
- Tell us which 2 artists (in your dream scenario) you would sign to the company and why.
We will only get back to candidates we wish to interview so thanks in advance for taking the time to apply. Interviews will take place in May. Good Luck!