With its broad and diverse roster of new stars and legendary artists, Warner Music Group is home to a collection of the best-known record labels in the music industry including Asylum, Atlantic, East West, Elektra, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Warner Records, Warner Classics and Warner/Chappell Music, one of the world’s leading music publishers with a catalogue of more than one million copyrights worldwide.
For more than four decades, WMG has been an industry-leading force in providing a world-class array of services designed to help artists and labels grow their careers and their businesses. Artist & Label Services is the umbrella for WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) – the pioneering WEA distribution and marketing network – and Alternative Distribution Alliance (ADA) – the ground-breaking global distribution company for independent artists and labels.
A little bit about our team:
Our UK Legal and Business Affairs team is responsible for negotiating and drafting commercial contracts on behalf of the business, as well as providing commercial and legal support. This is a temporary role for up to 12 months to cover Maternity Leave.
We are seeking a qualified lawyer to provide legal and business affairs support to the distribution and label services arm of WMUK. As a Business Affairs Manager for ADA you will assist the Director of Legal and Business Affairs, ADA in providing legal and business affairs support to its marketing, promotion and digital teams.
Why this could be your next big break:
The role includes providing legal advice on the full spectrum of legal issues faced by the business, drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements and providing in-house legal support and advice to the business.
This is an exciting opportunity for a media lawyer to provide BA support to the ADA team and its independent artists and label partners in a time where the profile and opportunities for independently distributed labels and artists has never been higher. As part of Warner Music Group, ADA gives the indie community access to an unparalleled global distribution system and a dedicated team that provides a complete spectrum of marketing, merchandising, promotion, and music licensing services. As part of the Business Affairs team you will be drafting and negotiating the deals that help build and maintain the current ADA roster of indie labels and artists.
Here you’ll get to:
- Draft and negotiate distribution and label services agreements (including any amendments and extensions thereto).
- Instruct finance in respect of running, amending and analysing P&Ls to ascertain commercial potential of new deals.
- Prepare deal summaries for ADA US / UK.
- Prepare deal memos to seek approval from the business.
- Support ADA commercial team to prepare T&C’s relating to label competitions.
- Liaise with ADA’s international affiliate teams to ensure we are exercising the full scope of our distribution / manufacture / services rights
- Qualified solicitor or barrister with a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience in a music/media/rights based law firm or company OR you are not qualified but have a minimum of 5 years relevant experience in a music/media/rights based law firm or company.
- You have a sound understanding of relevant intellectual property law.
- Confident negotiator across a broad spectrum of commercial contracts, a team player but also confident working with a relative degree of autonomy in respect of matters within their experience.
- You have a sound commercial acumen with excellent attention to detail.
- You have the ability to work well under pressure and are good at prioritising workload
- You are a clear and confident communicator, personable, keen to learn and enjoy building relationships with the business and colleagues.
- This role will also embody a degree of supervising and delegating work to the ADA Legal Intern thus experience managing/supervising junior member(s) of staff would be an advantage but is not essential. The chosen candidate will need to be willing to help the relevant assistants on matters delegated to/being handled by the ADA Legal Intern including checking their work, answering queries and generally encouraging and advising the relevant assistants in addition to this role’s own workload.
It would be music to our ears if you were also:
- Proactive with a flexible approach
- An enthusiastic music lover
Why join us?
Here at Warner Music Group we’re all about our people. We are one global company made up exclusively of knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people.
It is the mission of every member of the WMG team around the world to create a nurturing environment for artists, songwriters, and the people behind the music – at every stage of their career. We strive to set WMG apart by embracing a philosophy of innovation – it’s part of our company’s DNA.
Consider a career at WMG and be a part of one of the most influential forces in culture today.