The publishing division of the UK’s Global Entertainment has inked a long-term administration and co-publishing deal with fast-growing independent Spirit Music Group.
The deal encompasses the Global music publishing catalogues in the US, UK and Canada.
Back in May, MBW reported that there were widespread lay-offs at Global Entertainment following its ambitious launch of management, publishing and label operations in the US market.
Skeletal staff were left but music publishing has always been strong at Global, with a roster of writers including Ellie Goulding, Corine Bailey Rae, Jungle, The Script, LMFAO, The Vaccines, The Vamps, The Horrors, Coin, Mike Taylor, writer and producer Jeff Gitelman, Dawin, and Jarami.
Spirit will work with the full catalogue of Global, which includes hits as: “Superheroes” by The Script; “I Need Your Love” and “Outside” by Calvin Harris featuring Ellie Goulding; “Party Rock Anthem” and “Sexy And I Know It” recorded by LMGFAO; “Busy Earnin’” by Jungle; “Love Me Again” by John Newman; “Hey Baby” by No Doubt (via Rodney Price); and “Lights,” “Anything Could Happen” and “Burn” by Ellie Goulding.
David Renzer, Chairman, Spirit Music Group (pictured), said: “We’re so honored that Global has chosen Spirit as their partner for this important deal and we look forward to working closely with Ashley and his team to ensure that Global’s writers and catalogue are well taken care of.
“The deal also fits well into Spirit’s aggressive growth in the UK market – on the heels of our deals with B-Unique and Polar Patrol – as well as continuing Spirit’s strong growth in North America.”
Ashley Tabor, Founder & Executive President, Global, said: “Global’s music publishing divisions is longstanding and we’re very proud of its heritage, our artists and writers. We’re delighted to have partnered with David Renzer and the team at Spirit Music Group, who set the bar for creativity and service.
“Spirit’s international reach, creative strength and administrative platforms make them an incredible music publishing partner for Global.”
The deal with Global marks the latest in Spirit’s aggressive series of signings and catalogue acquisitions.
- Late last year, Spirit acquired B-Unique and opened a London-based office, Spirit B-Unique UK, bringing into its fold high-profile artists John Newman and James Bay among others.
- In January, Spirit announced a multifaceted deal to acquire Frank Rogers’ interest in the Sea Gayle Catalog and established Spirit Fluid in Nashville, a JV with Rogers.
- It launched Spirit Music Latino in March of this year, partnering with successful Latin music label and publisher, Sunflower Entertainment Group.
- The company also acquired Polar Patrol Publishing in May of this year bringing with it songs written by Snow Patrol, Belle and Sebastian and Ed Sheeran co-writer Johnny McDaid.
- Spirit also recently acquired Nashville-based independent music publisher, production, and artist management company Cal IV Entertainment, which brought top country writers, artists, and staff into the fold along with 25 number one country copyrights and top ten singles.
- This was followed by the acquisition of the StyleSonic catalog, bringing another four No. 1 country hits to its portfolio as well as over fifteen Top 20 country songs spanning the last decade.
- Spirit’s aggressive expansion plans also led to the recent acquisition of leading contemporary Christian catalog West Main Music and the acquisition of a portion of the catalog of Jason Ingram, one of Christian music’s most accomplished songwriters.
Recent signings by the company include the catalog of legendary Henry Mancini; Grammy-winning artist Loudon Wainwright III; an exclusive North American publishing agreement for the song catalog of 13x Grammy winner T Bone Burnett; a global deal with Joe Walsh (encompassing his entire solo output, all of work with The Eagles, and new compositions); and the acquisition of the co-published catalog of Nashville hit-maker Josh Osborne (including nine No. 1 hits).
In addition, Spirit recently concluded a North American distribution agreement with Caroline for both current and future masters that the company controls, which includes records by T. Rex.
Spirit Music Group is headquartered in New York with offices in London, Los Angeles, Nashville and the Netherlands.
It is a portfolio company of Pegasus Capital Advisors, the New York-based private equity fund manager that has been providing creative capital and strategic solutions to growth companies since 1996.Music Business Worldwide