Ariana Grande has claimed a major Spotify all-time record.
The Republic-signed star’s latest hit, 7 Rings, has racked up the biggest tally of plays on the platform ever seen within a 24 hour period.
The track officially accrued 14,966,544 global plays on Spotify on day one, after being released on Friday (January 18).
That was over 4 million plays bigger than the previous 24-hour record breaker, All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey – which attracted 10,819,009 Spotify streams on December 24 during the 2018 holiday season.
Spotify’s third biggest track in 24-hour terms is XXXTentacion’s SAD!, which accrued 10,415,088 plays on June 19 last year – the day after the untimely death of the rapper, real name Jahseh Onfroy, aged 20.
Today’s news isn’t Ariana Grande’s first recent Spotify milestone: her previous single, thank u, next, surpassed 100m streams on the service in 11 days in November, making it the fastest song in history to reach a nine-figure playcount.
The 14.97m Spotify plays clocked up by 7 Rings yesterday will have generated around $90,000 for Grande’s team, as well as the track’s other rightsholders.
Grande manager Scooter Braun tweeted to confirm the record-breaking news today (January 19), writing that “History is being made!”, before congratulating the artist and her team.
According to SpotifyCharts.com, at least 3.85m streams of 7 Rings’ day one tally came in the United States. (These streams only include those which are eligible for Spotify’s charts; the platform puts a cap on the number of plays each individual user can contribute towards its chart within a 24 hour period.)
Biggest 24-hour stream counts in Spotify history:
- 7 Rings, Ariana Grande – 14,966,544 (January 18, 2019)
- All I Want for Christmas Is You, Mariah Carey – 10,819,009 (December 24, 2018)
- SAD!, XXXTentacion – 10,415,088 (June 19, 2018)
- Shape of You, Ed Sheeran – 9,891,056 (March 3, 2017)
- In My Feelings, Drake – 9,847,333 (July 20 2018)
- thank u, next, Ariana Grande – 9,606,415 (November 9, 2018)
- Nonstop, Drake – 9,298,297 (June 29, 2018)
- Last Christmas, Wham! – 9,098,668 (December 24, 2018)
- Survival, Drake – 8,611,591 (June 29, 2018)
- God’s Plan, Drake – 8,553,009 (January 26, 2018)
Music Business Worldwide