IMPALA has revealed its shortlist of nominees for the fifth edition of the IMPALA Album of the Year Award, which it calls a ‘European Mercury-style prize showcasing the musical talent and diversity of releases by European independent labels’.
Voting is currently taking place on the 23-album shortlist to decide who will succeed Spanish band Guadalupe Plata as the winner.
The best album will be selected by a jury of IMPALA Board members, with the winner announced mid-February.
The nominated albums are listed in alphabetical order by artist/name of the album/record label:
1. ALT-J – This Is All Yours (Infectious Records)
2. APHEX TWIN – Syro (Warp)
3. BATIDA – Dois (Soundway Records)
4. BROKEN TWIN – May (ANTI/Epitaph)
5. CARIBOU – Our Love (City Slang)
6. DANS DANS – 3 (Unday Records)
7. THE DØ – Shake Shook Shaken (Wagram Music)
8. EMIS KILLA – Mercurio (Carosello Records)
9. FAI BABA – Savage Dreamer (A Tree In A Field Records/Irascible)
10. FKA TWIGS – LP1 (Young Turks)
11. FRANKIE CHAVEZ – Heart And Spine (Search Records)
12. HIGHASAKITE – Silent Treatment (Propeller Recordings)
13. ICEAGE – Plowing Into The Field of Love (Escho)
14. JENNIE ABRAHAMSON – Gemini Gemini (How Sweet The Sound)
15. NINA ROMIC – Stablo (Aquarius Records)
16. THE NOTWIST – Close To The Glass (City Slang)
17. OCHO MACHO – De Puta Madre (CLS)
18. PEPE WILLBERG – Pepe & Saimaa (KHY Suomen Musiikki)
19. SLEAFORD MODS – Divide And Exit (Harbinger Sound)
20. TREMENDA TREMENTINA – Sangre Pop (Everlasting Records)
21. TWIN ATLANTIC – Great Divide (Red Bull Records)
22. WITHIN TEMPTATION – Hydra (BMG)
23. YOUNG FATHERS – Dead (Big Dada/Anticon)
Helen Smith, Executive Chair, IMPALA commented: “We once again have a very strong set of nominees this year, many of whom were acclaimed by the music press throughout 2014. It’s now up to the jury to decide which one of these albums is the most exceptional of 2014.”
Sixteen countries are represented among the 23 nominees. The shortlist includes three artists previously nominated for this award: Alt-J, IceAge and Ocho Macho, while label City Slang has two nominees – The Notwist and Caribou.
IMPALA’s “European Independent Album of The Year” award was launched in 2011, together with the annual “Outstanding Contribution to European Music” award, to mark the 10th anniversary of IMPALA.Music Business Worldwide