The American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) is a trade group representing the interests of independently owned recorded music companies. Independently owned labels comprise all genres of music, and more than a third of all recorded music sales in the United States. Major stars such as Taylor Swift, The Lumineers, Alabama Shakes, Mumford and Sons, Bon Iver and many more are on Independent labels. A2IM serves as a central voice for this diverse U.S. based community representing members’ interests in the marketplace, the media, on Capitol Hill, and in the global music community. A2IM works to create value for the entire music ecosystem, which also includes artists, publishers, distributors, digital streaming services, artist managers, music attorneys and others who work with indie labels. Such partners are eligible to join A2IM as Associate Members.
LOCATION: A2IM’s headquarters offices in New York, NY
REPORTING: The Member Relations for Associate Members will report directly to the CEO, and will take direction from others from time to time as designated by the CEO.
A2IM’s Member Relations person’s primary responsibilities include:
- Increasing the organization’s revenues opportunities via:
- Researching, soliciting, and acquiring new Associate Members.
- Securing sponsorships and brand partnerships from Associate Members who will benefit from sponsoring A2IM events including Indie Week and the Libera Awards.
- Working closely with the Brand Partnerships Manager in facilitating introductions and support for Brand Partnerships.
- Advising Associate Members on generating optimal value from their A2IM membership
- Eliciting feedback from Associate Members to ensure that they are participating, engaged with, and enjoying the benefits from their membership.
The successful applicant will work with the A2IM staff, its Board, member committees, and chapters to create and execute events and initiatives that enhance the value of membership.
She or he will answer member questions about A2IM initiatives and events, and will help keep the CEO, staff, and Board of Directors apprised of the challenges and successes of membership.
Specific duties include:
- Acquiring new Associate Members.
- Adding value for existing members by creating commerce, networking, and educational opportunities including one-on-one, roundtable, and town hall style meetings.
- Overseeing The Licensing & Publishing Committee: Organizing meetings, meeting agendas and enlisting the participation of music supervisors as needed
- Managing Digital Media & Emerging Technologies Committee: Overseeing initiatives affecting our community and vetting prospective associate members
- Creating strategic plans aligned with A2IM’s vision and mission.
- Differentiating A2IM from other music trade organizations by offering its associate members a unique and valued service.
- Elevating awareness of the independent music community with the digital music services.
- Developing and maintaining long-term relationships with the US Department of Commerce to enhance export trade. Propose, plan and execute upcoming trade missions and events in foreign territories, in conjunction with Commerce ITA, to facilitate networking and outreach opportunities.
- Researching, identifying, pursuing, and closing new revenue generating opportunities
- Branding A2IM’s events and meeting or exceeding best industry practices
- Some travel required
- Other duties as required
Required Skills and Experience
- Substantial music industry experience and knowledge.
- Broad swath of industry contacts particularly on the support and services side of the industry including but not limited to music services and the digital and tech sectors.
- Strong written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of music industry and particularly independent labels’ issues.
- The drive to go above and beyond to deliver world-class service for our associate and label members.
- Skilled in communicating to all levels of the music, media, and tech industries.
- Highly organized, detailed, and accurate.
- Effective prioritization, time, and project management skills.
- Innovative and agile thinker.
- Ability to work independently yet collaborate and communicate with all stakeholders.
- Must be very tech savvy
- Light administration in the form of utilizing the company’s CRM and invoicing
Job Type: Full-time
Title and salary commensurate with experience
A2IM is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and benefits.
To apply or recommend qualified candidates please contact James Celentano at MemberServicesA2IM@gmail.comMusic Business Worldwide